Menu

Anyone been to or lived in Malaysia??

I would love to hear about your experiences especially what you know about Penang. Thanks!

My friend Carol ~ (carolfoasia is here member name on this board, though she doesn't regularly post) has lived in Malaysia; it is a place near and dear to her heart. She could answer any questions you have, I'm sure. Would you like me to put you in touch with her?

Heather we considered moving to Singapore about 5 years ago. There are some fabulous expat message boards around where people will be able to give you an enormous amount of up to date information. I found them incredibly helpful when we were making a decision. I don't have the URLs anymore but I bet a Google would bring them up.

eta: I know Singapore is a different country, but there will be something for expats in Malaysia too.

My family (Husband, 8 year old, 6 year old, and 1 year old) spent some time in Penang. It was very plush. In fact, the first dryer we had seen is several monthes was in Penang. We stayed with an ex-professor of mine and his wife. He is from the states, she is Malay. The food was wonderful, the different peope were so amazing to me; A lot of chinese, Malay, and Indian...all so colorful and distinct. There was a mall....we even saw a movie in a movie theater which, coming from Cambodia, was quite odd (we didn't enjoy it as much as we thought we would, the movie that is). Yes, some beaches and quite a few ex-pats or *foreigners*, we were pretty surprised. The apartment building that John lived in was like 85% westerners. I could go on and on.

It is definitely a family friendly, easy place to live as a foreigner with a lot to experience.

emerald

Heather,

A friend of mine is involved in missions in Malaysia. She began by teaching English there. I'm not sure how easily I could get in touch with her but I'd be happy to try if there's any more specific info you'd like.

Carolyn

That is very kind of you. Truthfully, I am not sure what to ask! :D I guess, initially, I would just want to know if she likes living in Malaysia... like the best things about it and the worst things about it, ya know? Cost of living information would be great too... like how much money would the average 4 person family need to live modestly but not like paupers? Thanks!!!!!