Menu

Singapore Math - Multiplication ?

Tanya in KS

My son is working in book 2A. Can someone please explain to me their crazy method for introducing multiplication? And then jumping into division without all the facts of multiplication down!!! There does not seem to be any consistency to it at all - the 2, 3, 4. It all seems to be mixed up. Am I missing something??? :001_huh:

Yep - I agree. It makes sense. The memorization takes place outside of what is in the books - I think the Home Instructors Guide might tell you what to memorize, but I don't use it. It has mental math review in the the back that should be worked on.

The idea of doing multiplication and division together is that it helps to build a conceptual understanding that the processes are related. You work with the lower facts first and build understanding of how it works with the easy multiplication/division facts. In the next level you do the same thing again starting with the easy facts and then move to the harder facts. Then you do two-digit multiplication then division with easy facts (2,3,4,5) then with harder ones. You start with using manipulative - like beans or something then pictures and then just the problems. The kids learn to understand the problems, not just memorize the facts.

Singapore is starting with the conceptual understanding of what multiplication is...repeated addition. Instead of adding 4+4+4+4+4, they get you to understand there are five 4s or 5X4. Introducing division immediately after also builds the conceptual understanding of division as the inverse of multiplication. The math fact 4X5=20 is directly related to 20/4=5. It makes sense to learn them at the same time (or close to it). Singapore begins to build understanding of the multiplication table with the easy numbers. If you have already worked with even numbers, learning the 2s is easy. Many kids will also have skip counted 3s, 5s, and 10s so those are easy to pick up. 4s are just every other one from the 2s, so not too difficult there. The harder numbers (6,7,8,9) I think are left for 3A if I remember correctly. They require more brute memorization skill.

I appreciate that Singapore works on the conceptual understanding and doesn't just say "memorize this table". It does work!