Menu

Really jumbled thoughts about what to think for history next

Chez J

We've done SOTW, so I feel like I don't want to repeat it.

I like that MOH teaches straight from the bible. But, I worry that there is not enough coverage of the world outside the bible. I felt like in SOTW, the "barbarians" and Celts, just showed up one day.

I wonder about using something like Kingfisher as a spine. Seems more textbooky and less engaging that SOTW was. I'd love another story series. But I want it to be full of all cultures and biblically accurate. LOL!

I liked the look of Biblioplan because it uses Victor Journey Through the Bible. I must confess I haven't read this book, but I like look of it. Maybe that is my story book and Kingfisher is for bringing in all the other cultures?

I also like the first book in The Story of Science. I could see reading that, but maybe that is for high school.

I like HO for the lesson plans, but it uses Kingfisher or MOH.

So confused I can't even articulate what's flowing around in my brain.

Can anyone see the forest through "my trees?"

Lesley

We really enjoyed MOH. There is a lot of history of Israel in year 1, and church history in year 2.

Have you looked at Tapestry of Grace? We moved into it after MOH 2, because I wanted to be in a 4 year cycle. MOH is going to be a 5 year program when it is finished. It has been great. We have both learned so much. Check out their website and see if you can look at samples for whatever year you want.

www.tapestryofgrace.com

We are finishing SOTW-4 this year, and I know what you mean.

But, we are already using Kingfisher - my son is in 5th grade. He is already wanting to drop SOTW for the rest of this year! He loves the idea of being able to read a spread, and then *choose* the thing that interests him for extra reading/research. He likes the precise-ness, I think. And he's eager for some independence.

My plan right now is to mix in some of the Guerber reading for his literature next year. We only have the Story of the Romans here, but it is based on alot of Herodotus and Livy, which would be considered literature in high school.

OTOH, my older ds *LOVES* SOTW, and I bet he would gladly repeat it for high school - LOL!

To be honest, I thought it would be a dull textbook, but I opted to use it as a read-aloud and keep my 5/7th graders together and we've really enjoyed it. We used SOTW for two rounds and enjoyed that also.

Boy do I understand your "swimmy head" feeling - just been there/done that - friends talked me off the roof....:lol:

BLessings,

Julie in MO