Menu

HELP! Broken ebay merch, now what?

I've never had this problem before, but my merch arrived broken. I bought two Yankee Candles from someone and one is broken beyond use unless I can break off the rest of the jar and find something else to put it in.

I emailed the seller who responded with a version of "Too bad, my other stuff arrived safely to other buyers and you didn't buy insurance." Well, insurance wasn't offered.

What do I do now? Do I eat the cost (doesn't seem fair)? Do I open a dispute?

Take pix and open a dispute. The insurance is for the seller not the buyer, so I never buy it unless it is required. It is the responsibility of the seller to get merch. to the buyer in the condition that it was described or to fix it. I have been selling on Ebay for several years, and I would never say too bad to a buyer. How rude!

There was nothing to specify...it was just $9 flat shipping to US and "I'm not responsible for anything". The invoice had no option to add insurance.

I've never been rude to a buyer either. I've reimbursed for broken merch when I didn't get insurance.

her recent reply:

"I know, I am sorry, if there is eveything that I am worried about thru the post office, I always place insurance on it!! That you have to do on your own. I have in all of my listings, I am not responsible for any items once my hands leave the item at the post office. I did really wrap it good!!!! No one can be responsible for the mail system whatsoever without insurance! have a good evening!!!!"

Humph

Edited by Laura R (FL)

I hate to say it, but if in her listing she said that insurance was the buyer's responsibility, she's right, unless the item was damaged before she shipped it. If it became damaged in the mail, however, and you opted not to insure it, that does become your problem.

Ria

I hate to say it, but if in her listing she said that insurance was the buyer's responsibility, she's right, unless the item was damaged before she shipped it. If it became damaged in the mail, however, and you opted not to insure it, that does become your problem.

Ria

Normally, I would agree. But if there was no option to add insurance to the invoice, then what?

Barb

Right, it will serve her best to refund partially for the one candle that was broken to make both parties fairly happy. She is expecting you not to know that it is the burden of the seller to get the merch. to the buyer in the condition that it was described, not the responsibility of the PO. Check out Ebay policy. Her 'out of her hands' statement is not correct. PP will side with you when you show them pix. (I have had this happen as both a buyer and seller). Hopefully this resolves quickly and easily.

Ria

Actually according to Paypal and any Judge ... it is the responsibility of the seller to make sure the item gets to the buyer. Even if the seller buys DC and the item does not make it to the buyer ... Paypal will side with the buyer.

File a despute, take pictures, they will have to refund the money. You may have to ship back the item though and pay shipping both ways. It may not be worth that.

I have done the same...worked out partial refunds for broken, uninsured merch, reshipped missing merch, etc.

Wanted to add...I opened a PayPal dispute and at the same time, the seller contacted me via email. She offered a partial refund. :) I'm happy! I'm off to close my dispute!

Edited by Laura R (FL)
update