Menu

What is this "subscribe" thing?

Janna

If you "subscribe" then you will receive email notices when someone posts in that thread. You can also subscribe to just certain threads by scrolling down to the "Additional Options" at the bottom of the screen where you type before submitting your message.

I'm trying to remember to subscribe to the threads that I start, but I'm thinking it would be too much to subscribe to every thread where I've posted (in the CP settings).

So usually, I just go to "search", then under "advanced" I put in my moniker and all the posts that I have either started or contributed to, will come up. That is how I've done it so far.

You're saying the subscribe is like that, except you get email notices instead? Or it's totally different....?

How do you subscribe to the thread? Do you type in the name of the post? Or ?

It looks like there are two ways to use the subscription feature. One is in the CP. The default is not to subscribe, but it appears that setting this to automatic subscription will subscribe you to every thread you start and every thread where you post. When you're subscribed, you'll receive email notices when someone posts to that thread.

Another way is to selectively subscribe to threads. Just before submitting your post, scroll down to the "Additional Options" (which are listed below the submit button) and you'll see the notification options. From there you can subscribe to the individual thread. I'm not aware of an way to subscribe to a thread where you haven't posted.

HTH!

Debra :) , I'm a CPA, not a professor. I use profmom as short for "professional mom" and partly as a reminder to myself to treat my new profession at least as seriously as I did my previous one (meaning these dc aren't just going to grow up at my house, but I will actively parent/mentor them, etc.)

I also take "continuing professional education" (CPE) seriously for my new profession -- reading on parenting, teaching, homeschooling, etc. (As a CPA, I'm required to complete 40 hours of CPE on accounting-type topics each year to maintain my license, even though I'm home full time now.)

Thanks for the compliment!

Well, profmom, you're pretty darn cute for a CPA, too! :D

I think the motherhood/schooling gig is absolutely a professional undertaking. It's so very important, isn't it? I enjoy improving myself in those areas, as well.

Too bad the current profession doesn't warrant a tax incentive just yet. ;)

I'm not aware of an way to subscribe to a thread where you haven't posted.
There is a drop down menu under Thread Tools which will allow you to subscribe to a thread. You can choose which type of notification you want for that individual thread.

In Control Panel, you can access all subscribed threads (not just those with new posts).

You can view all subscribed threads, from Quick Links at the top of every page! I subbed to an interesting thread to experiment with it, left it at No Notification, and now I can pull up "all" of my subscribed threads from that Quick Link.

I think this will be very useful! Now I can see myself subscribing to interesting threads until they fade out; checking threads I've participated in (by choosing my name down in the Members Online list on the main page); and browsing through New Posts or each forum's pages. Hmmmmm!