Menu

Tell me -- in all honesty -- what you think of this statement: (cc)

i would also be very careful about referring to the flock as pew-warmers. Like the pastor's role, we rarely have insight as to the struggles/responsibilities people are facing on a daily basis, and a chance to sit in peace and be spiritually fed may be the one highlight of their week.

Unless it's by someone who sees them merely as a pew-warmer.

I hope that I didn't give the impression that I view all congregants as pew-warmers. That is certainly NOT the way I see them. Most of them are dear friends and fellow workers in ministry. Unfortunately, though, there are those few who, as I said in my previous post, "think that their pastor is the one who is supposed to do the work of ministry, and their job is to be pew-warmers and to hold the pastor accountable." It is very frustrating for a pastor when someone is unwilling to do anything in the church other than attend services on Sunday, yet they feel entitled to criticize not only the pastor, but other people who are working.

Edited by ereks mom

I hope that I didn't give the impression that I view all congregants as pew-warmers. That is certainly NOT the way I see them. Most of them are dear friends and fellow workers in ministry. Unfortunately, though, there are those few who, as I said in my previous post, "think that their pastor is the one who is supposed to do the work of ministry, and their job is to be pew-warmers and to hold the pastor accountable." It is very frustrating for a pastor when someone is unwilling to do anything in the church other than attend services on Sunday, yet they feel entitled to criticize not only the pastor, but other people who are working.

well sure --and like I said, I'm sure there ARE people who only attend Sunday mornings, have a worry-wart attitude that criticizes everything, yet are still taking on a lot of responsibility outside the church. Being active in the church/ community/ home doesn't mean one never makes unwarranted criticisms, and just because someone criticizes and doesn't help [where you can't see their help] doesn't mean their criticism is without merit, either.

For a pastor that is involved w/ actual shepherding of their flock, they will know these people and try to address their heart issues. For a pastor that does not seek to spend much time w/ their flock, they won't know this.

Either way, if their only worth is to warm the pews, then maybe those pews were a little too cold to begin with.

Yeah, that's what all the ministers at my old church used to say. Didn't work (still hasn't).... One must lead by example. You can't sit back and tell someone else to do all the work while you direct if you've never rolled up your sleeves and gotten your hands dirty..... They won't follow such a lead. It's just not natural....