Menu

Anyone doing CC- the Challenge programs?

If so, how do you like the materials? We are not doing CC, although we do have a local group we could join, and I was looking at their Challenge program-particularily for grades 9-12. I liked and we will be using many of their literature choices. I also noticed that they have guides for these books that are very affordable.

What do you think of their literature guides?

I was assuming that even if I don't belong to the group we could buy and use the materials, right?

Thanks for any feedback!

P.S. It is the Words Aptly Spoken guides to which I'm referring.

Edited by Kfamily

I'm not sure about the Lit guides...how informative they are, but I know you have to be part of the group to purchase a "Challenge guide." Starting this year, it's actually included in the tuition. Of course, you can purchase the books from CC.

If I was going to do it, I would start as close as I could to 7th grade or so....

Carrie:-)

I haven't compared the CC guides to other guides, so I don't know if I can help with that, but I can tell you how wonderful our CC group has been.

The Classical Conversation materials are all very Christian focused. We homeschool for secular reasons, and our interpretation of scripture is a little different from the CC group. However, this group has been very welcoming of us and others who don't have their same beliefs. And when a reading or writing assignment hasn't been a good fit for our family, I change it. Afterall, I am still the teacher and CC is considered tutoring.

The closest Challenge program to us is over 30 miles away. But we have still found this program to be worth the investment for us. The curriculum builds over time. We've picked courses offered in Challenge I, Challenge II, and Challenge III. But I wish we would have started earlier in their program and signed up for one year at a time.

The group of people who participate at CC in our area are top notch. There is a wide variety of kids. DD has a wonderful group of people to socialize with. They even had a Protocol dinner this month that was a wonderful dress-up night with dinner and the symphony. And the curriculum pushes us harder and farther than the public school. I'm sure we would have lowered our standards if we didn't have the CC measuring stick to live up to.

The Classical Conversations Challenge program has been a perfect fit for us. I would encourage anyone considering this option to call their local group and see if they can sit in classes for a day.

I only have one in Challenge B now (the other is in Foundations and Essentials), but I will be tutoring Challenge I next year. I like the program but so far the lit guides are not very substantial - just some comprehension questions and thought type questions, so we are using Teaching the Classics and other things for true lit analysis. Maybe the higher level guides are better.

It is a very modern take on neo-classical ed. That being said, my daughters love, love it. I too make the assignments what we need them to be. I am the teacher and I have to "teach" the material, the tutor merely introduces it, facilitates discussions and class participation. The class interactions and discussions are what mine love.

It is also important to make sure that you have a good Tutor. A good tutor can make or break your experience from what I gather.

This is the first co-op we have ever been a part of (and we have done MANY) where I felt we were truly getting something out of it besides social time... ;)

hth,

Georgia