Menu

Tell me what to do...

1. We are leaving on vacation this Sunday. (yay!)

2. I need to pack.

3. My house is a mess.

4. We need to do school.

5. I need to clean my house (as well as pick up the mess).

6. I need to keep up normal laundry & cooking.

I'm feeling overwhelmed and I don't know where to start. My house is trashed from company over the weekend. It also needs to be cleaned. Plus, I've got school and the normal other house stuff. Where do I start? Do I cancel school? We are already going into the first week of June. Ack! Help!

Kathy

Edited by KIN

1. We are leaving on vacation this Sunday. (yay!)

2. I need to pack.

3. My house is a mess.

4. We need to do school.

5. I need to clean my house (as well as pick up the mess).

6. I need to keep up normal laundry & cooking.

I'm feeling overwhelmed and I don't know where to start. My house is trashed from company over the weekend. It also needs to be cleaned. Plus, I've got school and the normal other house stuff. Where do I start? Do I cancel school? We are already going into the first week of school. Ack! Help!

Kathy

Do the laundry

Do a light pickup

Do a surface clean

Lighten the school load, maybe educational videos, books on tape?

If you can't condense I say let the housework slide and the schooling if necessary. Your kids are young enough that a few extra days of no school won't be detrimental.

Good luck!

Before I started using Motivated Moms I would sometimes call my dh at work and ask him to tell me what I should do next.

I'm glad there is someone out there that understands! I was doing Motivated Moms, then I had the (not so) bright idea that I'd make my own schedule. So, I'm snowed under with work around here!!!!!!! I tend to get frozen when I'm overwhelmed so that makes worse. I'm starting on the house, specifically the kitchen. One step at a time....

You can do it!! Here's what I would do:

Start with the laundry NOW. While you're folding clothes, pull out things you'll be taking on your trip and put them somewhere safe. If all of your laundry is done, packing will be easy.

Make a list of everything you'll be bringing/packing (maybe one list per suitcase if you're a list maker like me :tongue_smilie:) and another list of things you need to do before you leave (talk to neighbor about getting the mail, grocery shop for travel snacks, etc.). Over the next few days, shop for anything on the list you need and check off your tasks.

Friday and Saturday don't do any cooking. Try to eat all the perishables in your fridge. Anything that won't last until you get back needs to be eaten! This will probably mean some really strange meals. If you run out, order a pizza on Saturday night. :D

Do a half-day of school on Friday and spend the rest of the day getting the house picked up. Finish any last loads of laundry. After everything is put away, get your suitcases out and start packing. Set out what you will wear on Saturday and the clothes you'll be traveling in on Sunday. Get a toiletry bag out for each family member and fill them with what you'll be bringing. Live out of these until you leave on Sunday; this way you'll know you aren't forgetting anything.

Saturday, spend the first half of the day cleaning the whole house. I always make sure all the trash is taken out, the floors are swept, and the kitchen is spotless so we don't come home to ants everywhere. Give any extra food to the neighbors. The rest of the day Saturday, finish any other packing (toys or games, food, clean out purse, etc.). Get the car filled up and check the tire pressure (if you're traveling by car).

Saturday night, pack the car. It will be so nice on Sunday morning to wake up, get dressed, and go!

I hope you have an amazing time!!!