Menu

hidden cost of multiples - please answer if you have twins or triplets!

There is a carseat on the market now that is narrow enough to fit three to a backseat. We own two of the Sunshine kids radian 65 (or 80) and one regular carseat. The three of them fit in the back of our Honda Accord.

The carseat was expensive, around $200, but definitely cheaper for us than purchasing a larger vehicle.

Setting up my twin boy's college funds when they were in their first year was brutal. The group I was working with, Van Guard, required that I start each fund with $3,000.

The boys are only 5 and we won't need the money for a long time to come -- so I'm sticking my head in the sand and not looking at what the amounts are now in this lovely economy.

Clothes are definitely an expense because we don't have any hand-me-downs (these are our only kids).

On that note, trying to outfit them for one or two trips to the snow in Tahoe is a pain. I end up spending a lot of money buying snow clothes for one or two trips. I try to buy used, but it's hard.

If I'd like to put them in gymnastics it's times two, of course. Or swim lessons or a theater program. Always times two. Yes, usually there's a discount on the sibling, but it's still a lot to have to have to times every activity by two.

Alicia