Menu

Another S/O on the Harvey's w/Homer

Linda in Oregon

I've heard a lot of talk about what people have not liked about Harvey's. It's been said that it's too intense, unnecessarily confusing, too archaic, not in-line with modern grammar and usage.

There must be something to like about it if the CW people are so highly recommending it and incorporating it into their program.

Where are the people who like it or even love it? What do you have to say?

thanks!

I liked it on a personal level. I picked it up when the children were little and read/worked through the first book. It was the first book in which grammar made sense. (Grammar was no longer taught by my public school when I went through K-12.) My children don't use Harvey's because it moves too fast and there's not enough review.

Well, my oldest 2 have been using it this year with the workbooks provided by Classical Writing. I think it is doing the job. It is thorough. The language is a bit archaic, but it is easy enough to use words that the children are more familiar with, if necessary. We try to spend one day a week just deconstructing sentences taken from the model and diagramming them. For me, I love that it is integrated with the CW workbooks. I am thankful not to have one more thing to pull together on my own :-)

HTH,