Menu

Help with starting Latin? EFRU or ?

Deanna

Depends on your goals for Latin. Many people here will suggest and use Prima Latina from Memoria Press or Lively Latin. You might have to google that one. If you just want roots, EFRU is a good program. If you want to teach the full language, then I would start with Prima. Not having started it myself, I can give you zero input on either program. Hopefully, some others will reply.

It really does depend on what you hope to do with Latin, but I really don't think it is really something you have to be concerned with at this time. Just getting a child familiar with Latin phonics as you did with English would be a place to start. However, you probably should consider which pronunciation you want to go with. I use the classical because it is used in science and medicine, but the ecclesiastical is used more in church and music.

This is what I did: As soon as my daughter was firm on English phonics, I began to add Latin phonics, because it actually is helpful with many English words. For instance, the Latin long "a" sounds like the "a" in father, so when we came to a word like "hall," I would simply tell her that this word uses the Latin long "a" sound. I have since thought that it is a shame that all children do not learn Latin phonics.

We spend only 15 minutes a day about 3 days a week on both Latin and Greek (just learning the Greek alphabet right now) as my daughter just gets languages very easily--she also learns French by immersion.

I planned to used Latin's Not So Tough up through Level 3 and then determine to continue with the series or use another.

When DS was in first grade I couldn't wait to start Latin. I knew he was bright and *I* was going to do all sorts of fun and educational things with our school. It ended up being more difficult than I thought. I hadn't taken into account the attention span of a 6-yo or the fact that he wasn't absolutely going to love doing math. Then I figured we'd start in 2nd grade. But we had some reading resistance. In the end, we waited until 3rd grade to start Latin and it was exactly the right time for us.

In short, you may want to wait until you get into the rhythm of school before introducing Latin.

Good luck!