Menu

Latin veterans... please help!

Virginia Heather

I'm torn over my latin choices and would *love* some advice:

ds 10 (4th/5th gr level) has 2 more lessons in Lively Latin 1 (we only do the latin parts, not the history). While I've thoroughly enjoyed this resource, I'm concerned about LL2-- my understanding is that only the first 5 lessons have been released thus far. I'd HATE to get into a situation where we catch up to the author and then end up sitting around, waiting for her to release more.

So what are my options??

Latin Prep? LFC B? We jumped ship from LC1 (ds was bored out of his mind) before starting LL so I don't think I want to go that route again.

As much as I hate hopping from curriculum to curriculum, I'd rather have a solid, *available* resource as latin studies are very important to me.

So, what would you do??

We finished LL1 this fall.

I had been using the Minimus series in conjunction with LL to break things up a bit. After LL1 we took a long break and started Cambridge Latin (designed to be used after Minimus Secundus). It is a whole language approach, which is a huge switch from LL. Together we just read the stories line by line and translated. Sometimes I would read them out loud and have the guys kind of intuit the meanings. It is actually fun!

We just started LL2 and it is MUCH slower going than LL1! I wouldn't worry about catching up to her. It is a very rich curriculum and we just take our time.

I still take breaks and switch to Cambridge for reading practice. The stories are really fun.:001_smile:

I finished LL1 before Christmas and we've moved on to LL2. I asked the same question LL2 or LP and several people recommended that unless ds is a super motivated learner, LP would be a struggle for him. My ds is also 10yo, at a solid 5th grade level, but not a super motivated learner in Latin. I would recommend sticking with LL. I'm glad I did.

Thank you, thank you, thank you ladies!

Abbey-- I'm considering LP (or perhaps LFC B), so I really appreciate our reply. I've been wondering whether or not ds could handle it; I'm glad to know (based on ds's experience w/ LL) that LP is a viable option.

Soph-- thank you *so* much for your feedback re: LL2. I've emailed Catherine Drown w/ my concerns but haven't heard back from her. I'm *so* glad to know that catching up w/ her shouldn't be a concern (as that's my main one, lol!). Again... thanks!

Well...I purchased LL2 last April(?) and only a few lessons have been added, so I'm not counting on it for my 13yodd. We are going to go ahead and do whatever is there and then probably move on to First Form Latin (Memoria Press) for her.

BTW, I love :001_wub: Lively Latin, and I'm looking forward to doing LL2 with my other girls.

Well...I purchased LL2 last April(?) and only a few lessons have been added, so I'm not counting on it for my 13yodd.
At the rate new lessons are being released, it will be another year before LL2 is finished. However, what I've seen so far (through Lesson 5) is first rate.

Out of curiosity, is there any rhyme or reason to the frequency w/ which Mrs. Drown releases new lessons? I mean, can one assume that every so often (once/month or once every 5 mths) she'll release new material? Or is it completely arbitrary??

Also, how much longer are you spending on your LL2 lessons when compared w/ LL1? Does 5 lessons== 10 weeks of material or more?

I really do appreciate your help, one and all.... thanks os much!

Out of curiosity, is there any rhyme or reason to the frequency w/ which Mrs. Drown releases new lessons? I mean, can one assume that every so often (once/month or once every 5 mths) she'll release new material? Or is it completely arbitrary??
They've been coming every 6-8 weeks, but I'm reasonably confident she'll be able to get down to one a month.

Also, how much longer are you spending on your LL2 lessons when compared w/ LL1? Does 5 lessons== 10 weeks of material or more?
Lessons are running half again to twice as long (Lesson 5 ends on Page 180). There are more and longer translations, and new vocabulary every lesson. LL2 moves much faster than LL1 as well: In five chapters, she has introduced accusative, genetive of possession, dative of indirect object, second conjugation verbs, and the use of personal pronouns in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd person as major chapter themes, with other tidbits thrown in.