Menu

Prof B algebra???

Soph

Anyone use this??

We are most of the way through the third book of Prof B... and we LOVE it. OK, I love it and the boys don't realize how good they have it for math!

I was wondering if anyone here has used the algebra level. How does it compare with other curricula? Should we do something else before starting algebra???

Thanks

I'm in the same boat as you. We've got one big concept left before the end of the third book. I recently purchased RightStart Geometry b/c I was talking to Prof. B just before he passed away and he said that it's time (I think he mentioned that somewhere around grade 5 they could start on geometry). I purchased RightStart from recommendations people made (see this link for recommendations: http://67.202.21.157/forums/showthread.php?t=68068).

What I plan to do for the rest of the year is start in on geometry and do a review of book three. Maybe have dd do about 1/3 of the questions. I want her to have a solid understanding before we move to algebra. My friend's dds are in grade 10 and 8 and she required them to review before they moved on, too. She then did go on to Prof. B algebra and has been happy with it. I'm thinking I'll do it, too. Prof. B is very teacher-intensive and we've hit some rough patches (hence the call to Prof. B), but all-in-all it's a program that's worked for us.

I'm in the same boat as you. We've got one big concept left before the end of the third book. I recently purchased RightStart Geometry b/c I was talking to Prof. B just before he passed away and he said that it's time (I think he mentioned that somewhere around grade 5 they could start on geometry). I purchased RightStart from recommendations people made (see this link for recommendations: http://67.202.21.157/forums/showthread.php?t=68068).

I did not know Prof. B passed away, how sad. I had the pleasure of going to one of his workshops several years ago at the Georgia Homeschool Convention. My kids did really well using his program.

Good to know someone has used Prof B algebra. Right now I have the "Key to..." series for geometry. (We use this series for extra practice and review usually) Perhaps I will see how that goes and then move into Prof B Algebra later.

I fell a kind of loyalty to the Prof B folks, and want to give the algebra a try.

Thanks for the responses!

I just bought all three algebra books--they arrived Friday. We have used Professor B all the way through, and my first student is about 2/3 of the way through Book 3.

Someone on this board warned me that they are not going to print any more because they are working on converting everything to the web. Since they have not done even CDs yet for Algebra, I thought I had better get the books while I could. So here's a heads-up on that.

Oh, thats true. I just got an email from the Prof B folks and they mentioned that they were going to stop making the Master Teacher CDs, but it will be available on-line as a subscription service. I hadn't thought about the upper level books, though.

I'll email them and get an answer...

• 1 month later...

Would it work just as well to have your dc copy the problems onto a separate sheet of paper?

(Of course, it may be too late for that now :sad:)

I seem to recall that when I did Algebra in HS I copied the problems from my book onto notebook paper - but of course, that was a long time ago :tongue_smilie: