Menu

How is History Odessey level III Ancients?

I'm also looking at this for my rising 8th and 9th graders. (Although I'd prefer a 3 yr world history like Omni, I think I like the bks here better.)

1. About how much time/day & days/wk would you block out in a schedule for this? I'm guessing about 2-3 hrs per day, 5 days a week?? [They say it's good for 2 1/2 credits (1 hist, 1 lit, 1/2 geography)].

2. I've looked at the online samples but I can't tell how much, if any, support it includes for the instructor. Are there suggested answers to the discussion & essay questions or at least guides to what those answers should include? Or is the instructor expected to read thru all the work? (well I know I should but with 2 other kids plus these 2 I'd hate make them wait for Mom.)

3. I see this is secular, has anyone added something to assist in biblical discussions of some of the topics?

TIA

--Kathie

Kathie,

I did some prep work with HO Level 3 Ancients for my current 9th grader, but his junior high program was not strong enough to move him into this type of work. If your dd is a good reader of non-fiction books and has good experience writing essays then it might be a good fit. My son had neither, so he is using HO Level 2 Ancients along with his 7th grade sister.

I am guessing that there would be at least 2 hours of work per day. The reading requires concentration and thought to fully comprehend.

As for teacher support, I would say that there isn't much. It is pretty much a literature guide written to the student. The appendix does have a sample outline, a section on how to write a thesis statement, and dates for a time line. It also has the following worksheets: an essay grading rubric, several, story boards, literature matrix, a one page glossary of literay terms, civilization comparison charts, a chart to make a plot chart for books that are read, chart for key Roman rulers, and time line analysis forms. I may have skipped a couple things but that it about it. Most of the support is in the appendix of the manual.

We also do a separate study of our own on the Bible, so I don't include it with the history curriculum. I would say that an Old Testament survey would work in well or even New Testament as you are looking at the Roman Empire.

I hope that helps some.

Jennie

Kathie,

I did some prep work with HO Level 3 Ancients for my current 9th grader, but his junior high program was not strong enough to move him into this type of work. If your dd is a good reader of non-fiction books and has good experience writing essays then it might be a good fit. My son had neither, so he is using HO Level 2 Ancients along with his 7th grade sister.

I am guessing that there would be at least 2 hours of work per day. The reading requires concentration and thought to fully comprehend.

As for teacher support, I would say that there isn't much. It is pretty much a literature guide written to the student. The appendix does have a sample outline, a section on how to write a thesis statement, and dates for a time line. It also has the following worksheets: an essay grading rubric, several, story boards, literature matrix, a one page glossary of literay terms, civilization comparison charts, a chart to make a plot chart for books that are read, chart for key Roman rulers, and time line analysis forms. I may have skipped a couple things but that it about it. Most of the support is in the appendix of the manual.

We also do a separate study of our own on the Bible, so I don't include it with the history curriculum. I would say that an Old Testament survey would work in well or even New Testament as you are looking at the Roman Empire.

I hope that helps some.

Jennie

Thanks for details! My kids are doing SL core 100 now and not having any problems reading those books ... just problems saying on schedule which is not always their fault! Then again we haven't done any of the writing as we are doing CW Homer OB this year. Anyway they really haven't run into too much that is 'difficult' to read yet (but looking down the list of bks yet to come, they will :D )

As for the essays, we haven't even tackled them yet! Next year we will be doing CW Diogenes which begins a 2 yr study on essays. So if we did this then maybe we'd have to skip the writing in the beginning... perhaps just discuss those questions??

hmm, more to ponder.

Have you found the discussion questions in line with WTM type logic or rhetoric level questions?

thanks again for your help,

Kathie

http://www.cornerstonecurriculum.com/Curriculum/wvww/wvww.htm

I've always thought this looked interesting. It's David Quine's curriculum for History for older students...

Carrie:-)

I recently found this site also and thought it looked very interesting. When I looked last I was under the impression that with an 8th and 9th grader I should start with Starting Points. However I have 2 younger kids that will be starting back with Ancients and I would prefer to keep them all on the same time period. I'll have to email them to see what they say. Thanks for the link!