Menu

Computer Science classes --

My dh is an engineer who does a LOT of programming, but he went to high school and college before students did much programming!!!! He learned mostly on the job, so we are totally in the dark about computer science education.

We would like Ds2 to take the AP computer science class. He may or may not have the background by the end of the year -- he will have completed one class in Visual Basic and one class in C++. The teacher at PAH thought he probably would have a strong enough background, despite his lack of JAVA experience.

BUT...dh got curious about the "normal" sequence in computer science classes. What do students normally begin with? What do they take next? How many years of programming does a "typical" AP CS student have before he takes the AP CS class? Have most AP CS students already taken a JAVA course before the AP CS class?

I have been poking around on the web, looking at various high schools, and I am even more confused than I was before.

Does anyone have any idea what a "normal" sequence of computer programming classes would be for a non-computer-geek kid who just wants some programming experience under his belt?

He's never had experience in Java but he's thinking about taking the AP CS test? Um, someone might want to rethink that. The free response part of those exams are done by writing Java code. Many of the multiple choice questions rely on knowing the specific syntax and rules of Java code.

You or your ds will want to go to a bookstore and take a look at the AP CS prep book (we liked the Barron's one) to see what that exam is really like.

I cannot speak to a *normal* CS sequence. I graduated with my math/CS degree in 1983. I have no idea what schools, especially high schools, are doing now. However, my dd started with HTML and CSS, then moved on to Javascript and finally did a full year of Java with an AP CS textbook before taking the AP CS AB exam last May. She is now taking her 2nd semester of C++ at the local university (dual enrollment). She finds C++ to be a piece of cake compared to what she did to learn and prepare for the AP CS exam last year.

Maybe I am misunderstanding your proposed sequence. Are you saying your dh would like to see your ds study for and take the AP CS exam next year or this year? May 2009 or May 2010?

If you are thinking that ds would take a year of AP CS for next school year and then take the exam in May 2010 then I would say he could totally do that.

My 2 cents. Best wishes as you research this topic.

Jan

Edited by Jan in MO

Aha! Well that sounds like a really great plan to me. He'll have a whole year to get in all the Java plus algorithmic study necessary to be successful at that exam.

Since he will have several programming languages already under his belt it should be a natural transition into Java.

By then there will only be 1 AP CS exam (instead of the current A and AB options) and it still remains to be seen exactly what the scope will be for that single exam offering in 2010.

Jan

Here's the sequence from Texas Tech

Business Computer Information Systems, First Semester

Business Computer Information Systems, Second Semester

Business Image Management and Multimedia (C++), First Semester

Business Image Management and Multimedia, Second Semester

Computer Science 1, First Semester

Computer Science 1, Second Semester

Web Mastering

Here's an online class that prepares kids for the AP exam:

http://www.pahomeschoolers.com/courses/index.html