Menu

Veritas Press Flashcards & Memory Song CD

Handmaiden

We are using Winter Promise QAW and have been loving the books and activities.

I've been thinking of adding the VP flashcards and memory song as a supplement just to make things "stick."

Do any of you use them as a supplement, and if so, how do you use them? How often do you review, and long does it take to go through them?

TIA!

That would be fine! I'm using WP AC1 (started this month), and I'm going to have her do the corresponding cards and song (VP). You're going to have two card decks and songs for MOH1/QAW, and MOH is going to cover Egypt (OTAE) pretty quickly. Maybe just work through like 4 cards a week for 8 weeks on OTAE, then you've had the song down. You'd slow down then to a more normal pace with the NTGR deck. Flash the card and see if they recall anything about it. Sing the song up to that point and stop. That's all.

You could make yourself a chart of the Winter Promise topics that you'll cover and then note which VP History Card will compliment that topic. Pull the cards out as you move through your Winter Promise material. You can also memorize them or hang them on the wall after you study them for a visual timeline. We keep them in a binder. The kids LOVE looking at the Veritas Timeline Cards. They have beautiful pictures and a short write-up on the back that can be read aloud or independently.

We often use the IEW keyword outline method using the VP History Cards. This really helps to cement the material into their minds.

That would be fine! I'm using WP AC1 (started this month), and I'm going to have her do the corresponding cards and song (VP). You're going to have two card decks and songs for MOH1/QAW, and MOH is going to cover Egypt (OTAE) pretty quickly. Maybe just work through like 4 cards a week for 8 weeks on OTAE, then you've had the song down. You'd slow down then to a more normal pace with the NTGR deck. Flash the card and see if they recall anything about it. Sing the song up to that point and stop. That's all.

So are you saying that we shouldn't learn the entire song at once?

Trying to figure this out. :001_smile:

You could make yourself a chart of the Winter Promise topics that you'll cover and then note which VP History Card will compliment that topic. Pull the cards out as you move through your Winter Promise material. You can also memorize them or hang them on the wall after you study them for a visual timeline. We keep them in a binder. The kids LOVE looking at the Veritas Timeline Cards. They have beautiful pictures and a short write-up on the back that can be read aloud or independently.

We often use the IEW keyword outline method using the VP History Cards. This really helps to cement the material into their minds.

I love the idea of using the IEW keyword outline. I have TWSS and SWI A but took a break and have been wanting to get back into it.

How do you keep the cards in a binder? Did you get special page protectors to fit them?

Great ideas!

Well you can do it however you want. I think it's overwhelming to just sing the song with all 32 cards, so we build up. It's really not going to hurt anything, whichever way you do it.

The summaries on the backs of the cards are pretty obvious, the sort of material that they're probably retaining already from your studies. Use it whatever way you want, but you don't *have* to do more than just read and discuss.

I would suggest doing it in either 7 or 8 card increments. We do it in 8 card increments, but I hear that the number is 7 the "magic" memorizing number. It also makes it easier to recall. So, maybe just work 7 at a time through the cards. If you want to do it with the songs...VP geographical order makes sense. Otherwise, Classical Conversations...when we memorize them...we do it in a Geographical Order...similar...but a bit different.

Carrie:-)

There are knock off songs you can get...or some groups do them for just their groups, but no official VP/CC history timeline songs. We do have history sentences that are one per 8 cards....and they are to a tune.

But, for the history cards, the children just say/chant the cards by 8 card increments. We do 8 cards for 20 weeks and then start the Presidents. (for the last 4 weeks)

Chronologically is just a bit different than the way that CP offers them, but enough of a difference that the songs from them don't work. I've already let VP know that I'd be the first to buy a song cd from them for the cards in CC order. BUT, there are tons of kids who have memorized all 160 just kinda chanting them. To be honest, saying them is probably better than singing...OR at least saying then singing. Singing is stored in a different area of the brain:-)

There are knock off songs you can get...or some groups do them for just their groups, but no official VP/CC history timeline songs. We do have history sentences that are one per 8 cards....and they are to a tune.

But, for the history cards, the children just say/chant the cards by 8 card increments. We do 8 cards for 20 weeks and then start the Presidents. (for the last 4 weeks)

Chronologically is just a bit different than the way that CP offers them, but enough of a difference that the songs from them don't work. I've already let VP know that I'd be the first to buy a song cd from them for the cards in CC order. BUT, there are tons of kids who have memorized all 160 just kinda chanting them. To be honest, saying them is probably better than singing...OR at least saying then singing. Singing is stored in a different area of the brain:-)

Carrie, where do you get those knock off tunes and/or sentences? Are the sentences in a rhyme form?