Menu

Questions for North-Central Floridian homeschoolers...

OOPS! That should say West-Central Floridian homeschoolers!!

My dh has just been informed that he is being transferred in two weeks. (This is basically a good thing - just not great timing.)

We currently live northwest of Gainesville (in Lafayette county.)

The counties we have to choose from, as far as finding a new home are:

Pasco

Citrus

Hernando

Pinellas

I really don't know much about this area. Is one of these counties better (or worse) for homeschooling than the others? Lafayette county has been an excellent place to homeschool (as opposed to Lee county which I found more restrictive, but not difficult.)

Dh will be working out of Spring Hill. Again, I don't know the area - is there a nice town for children in the area? I think we could live anywhere between Tarpon Springs to the south and Homosassa to the north. We would prefer to stay nearer the coast.

Any suggestions or warnings?

Thanks!

I really don't know much about this area. Is one of these counties better (or worse) for homeschooling than the others? Lafayette county has been an excellent place to homeschool (as opposed to Lee county which I found more restrictive, but not difficult.)

I can't help with the where - we are in Lake Cnty.

BUT, the HS regs are STATE laws. If one county is doing more than they should - that doesn't mean you have to comply with it. The State has said what must be included on your NOI, the county can't ask for more.

You don't have to have your "stuff" to them by a certain date either - who cares if they want it by May 30, it's not due until 1 year from your NOI date.

SOOOOO, don't sweat it from what counties are easier than others.(and don't comply with the extras so they think they can get away with it.....).

Back to the location - someone posted a way cool "place" i wised i lived closer to last week. I think it was in Pinealles. For me, i'd like to be over in the Wesley Chapel area. Lots of new shopping and seems like an easy springboard to get other places since it's right off I-75. I know that a guy at our Post Office lives over that way - apparently it's worth commuting for and not a bad drive.

As an outsider driving in - anything driving "into Tampa" in the morning is horrid. I won't be making 9am doc appointments for the kids again at Shriner's. I felt like i was in Los Angeles again! LOL!!

Hopefully one of the Tampa area gals can help with more info!

We lived in both Tampa and Land O Lakes for 6 years. Land O Lakes is right at the Veterans Expressway which you will want to be near for an easy commute for your hubby and really to anywhere. Tarpon is about a 20 min drive from LOL. Wesley Chapel is a nice area too, however, traffic is horriffic over that way now. Your best bet is anywhere near the Veterans/Suncoast Expressway. Its a straight shot to Spring Hill and Tampa.

Hi Tracey,

I know the laws are state regulated, but if there is a county that is homeschool friendly, I would prefer to be there. Lafayette county is very homeschool friendly and it has been so much better than Lee county ever was. The homeschool liason is wonderful. We've actually had interesting coversations. My dd9 did Stanford testing for free at the elementary school. Everyone was just friendly. The teachers, the librarians, the school officials, other parents, the karate instructor, etc. supported the children and our choice to homeschool. This has been so different than the constant state of confrontation I felt in Lee county.

If one of those four counties is homeschool friendly, that is where I am going to begin my search. :)