Menu

Sewing machine problem...

The round spinny thing under the bobbin thread is spinning, but it only catches my top thread if I *slowly* turn the hand-sew thingy. Iow, if there's any speed to it, it doesn't catch.

Dh got it to catch at higher speeds, but only if the top thread is held very tightly & directly behind the needle (as opposed to off to the left side, where I typically hold it).

I don't even know what to google for this. Fwiw, it's a Singer 9410. Ideas? TIA!

Have you changed the needle recently? Needles dull very quickly and should be changed frequently. A dull needle may not 'catch' the thread properly.

It could also be your thread tension. Do you still have a manual for it? Sometimes the manuals have troubleshooting guides in them.

Try googling "thread not catching" or something along those lines.

Do you have a manual for your machine?

Is the round spinny thing the bobbin-case? (there should be pictures in your manual or if you google "bobbin case" you should be able to find a picture of one).

Is the hand-sew thingy the handwheel?

What are you trying to do? Get the bobbin thread to come up when you first put in the bobbin? If you are trying to raise the bobbin thread, my manual for a Singer machine (I can't find out what model it is) says:

1. Hold the upper thread in the left hand. Turn the handwheel towards you (counterclockwise) lowering, then raising the needle.

2. Gently pull on the upper thread to bring the bobbin thread up through the needle plate hold. Lay both threads to the back under the presser foot.

Is it able to sew an actual seam? If the stitches are too loose or too tight it would be a thread tension issue. Or the bobbin case could be threaded wrong.

Aubrey, I agree with the previous poster--it is likely your needle. However, if you do not cover your sewing machine when it's not in use, it may need seriouss cleaning as well. Try one of those dust blaster canned air things to dust out the bobbin case.

Jennifer

Be careful with canned air. It contains moisture that can rust your machine prematurely. I would highly recommend NOT using canned air. Trying using a small vacuum instead or a handheld air puffer thingamabob instead. ;)

Fixed!

Fwiw, I couldn't get it to pull up the bobbin thread, but that wasn't the problem--if it doesn't catch anything when it goes down, you come to the end of a seam, & nothing is sewn. It took 1/2 an hr just to figure out where the problem was even coming from!

I think I had one of my grmother's needles in my machine by accident. I inherited her pin cushion & usually keep my machine needles in pretty good order, but 1yo snuck in there earlier today & I had such a short time to sew that I just grabbed a needle.

I think maybe it was too short or something.

Thanks, ladies!!