Menu

Traveling Homeschoolers

When there are families who travel and home school (like in an RV), and they don't own a house anywhere, under which laws are they bound where homeschooling is concerned? Would it be under whichever state you have a drivers license and are registered to vote?

The people I've met who live this lifestyle, though admittedly I've never met homeschoolers who do this, have a "homebase" as they call it. It can be a small apartment, a P.O. Box somewhere, or they can use their adult child's home address and contact info. Their vehicle must be registered and insured in a certain state so there should be some designation as a home location, if only on paper. My guess is that this would also be their state for registering their homeschool, or not registering it, depending on the individual state's requirements.

Though we travel quite a bit and homeschool on the road, I've never pondered the legal aspects of it since we have a home. Interesting question and I hope to see some more knowledgeable responses than mine!!

My parents are FT RVers. They must choose one state to be their legal residence. Many people choose that state based on tax laws. That is the state they would register to vote in and register vehicles in.

Mail is a separate issue for FTers, since you can subscribe to a mail service or use family/friend address, who would provide the forward service for you. Your mailing address does not need to be the same as your legal residence.

As far as homeschooling, one would use the laws of the state of their legal residence.

My parents are FT RVers. They must choose one state to be their legal residence. Many people choose that state based on tax laws. That is the state they would register to vote in and register vehicles in.

Mail is a separate issue for FTers, since you can subscribe to a mail service or use family/friend address, who would provide the forward service for you. Your mailing address does not need to be the same as your legal residence.

As far as homeschooling, one would use the laws of the state of their legal residence.

This is true. We fulltimed for 4 years before settling down in Mexico but I never bothered with the legality of what I was doing wrt homeschooling. It is crazy to me that you must have a legal address to exist in the US.

There is a well-known website called "Families on the Road" and FOTR for those interested.