Menu

Help me dream...

We have an ordinary city home. Floors are ceramic tyle. The rooms are crowded. There are 11 of us living here! I would like to dream of what I'd like for furniture if I could re-do the house room by room...

I cannot afford to do that, but I want to dream a little. But, as I got to thinking, picturing myself walking through some fine furniture store, looking at the lovely dinette sets, etc. I couldn't imagine it going with our tile floors...

And, would you pick out such a fine, lovely dinette set with so many children? None of the kids are littles - they are all about 10 and up.

I DO want the home to feel more comfortable. There's something about hard floors that isn't as inviting to me for relaxation - you can't curl up on a tile floor! So, I think of very cushy, comfy furniture, but then we don't have a whole lot of room...

Anyway, do you have favorite on-line places to browse? I don't live in an area of great furniture stores. How does one pick a style? I am thinking that it would sure be fun to browse and pick styles and even print out some pictures... then if I ever do have funds to purchase a home furniture items or some such thing, I'd know what I like or where I'd like to end up... eventually...

I started by making a little notebook of pictures that I loved from magazines. Maybe you could get some old copies of home magazines from the library or a friend. I love Better Homes and Gardens since it is pretty down to earth. You can also order catalogs from furniture companies like Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware, or JC Penney Home Catalog. JC Penney and Smith & Noble are good catalog to get window treatment ideas.

You can soften up a tile floor with area rugs.

For a dinnette set check out the second hand market. We bought a beautiful farm house table and six chairs off of Craigslist.com for $250.

I love dreaming about what my house would look like pulled together, so I am right there dreaming along with you!