Menu

Has anyone used one of those mushroom kits?

7764.jpg

You know, you buy a box and a few weeks later, mushrooms start popping out?

I was just wondering if they work, how much you get, etc. I have always wanted to try one out, but it would be a bit of a hassle to set up the right conditions, and I want to make sure it would be worth it.

We grew one about a year ago. It sounded really hard but it was easy to get up and running. We had three crops off it, the last two being smaller. We ate them and relished them - all except my son of 5 years. He heard the word spores and has given up mushroom since. He did love them! It is not an affordable way to grow mushrooms yourself but I had the brilliant idea for putting the remains in a shaded part of my garden....we will see if the 'shrooms sprout next fall.

We paired it with Katy's Book of Mushrooms...link below.

http://www.amazon.com/Katyas-Book-Mushrooms-Katya-Arnold/dp/0805041362

For young kids I would recommend it. We had fun with it and it shaped our science for part of that year.

I bought a portabello one for my husband two Christmases ago. He got three crops from it, also. It seems to only be good for one season if you leave it in the box. We didn't get any mushrooms this year, but we also didn't tend it well. I think the whole box is in the garage now, but I suggested that he "plant" it out in our garden.

yvonne