Menu

Art, Architectural and Music History?

Each year, my kids read through the sections of that book that coordinate with the historic era they are studying. I also have a big coffee-table-type book I bought on a bargain table years ago called A History of Art. That one has a series of two-page spreads with close-up photos and information about certain pieces of art. What I did is go through that book and find all the close-up pages that fit in each historical period. Then I interweave those with the Mona Lisa readings, which usually beefs up the Mona Lisa stuff nicely.

For example, for the middle ages and Renaissance, there are 41 pages of reading in The Annotated Mona Lisa. There are another 48 pages we can use from the History of Art.

In addition, we make museum field trips and watch DVDs from Netflix and/or the library about various artists.

We do most of our structured music appreciation studies before high school. We've used Classic Tunes and Tales and Themes to Remember and liked both of them. We also read about various composers. And we supplemented with field trips to concerts and videos/DVDs about composers.

Both of my kids are music lovers. So, I don't have to really do much to encourage that by high school. They both sing with choirs and play instruments, and we attend enough operas and concerts for fun that I don't really worry about doing anything formal.

Thank-you for the suggestions :001_smile:. Do you think the Teachging Co tapes are worth investing in?

Absolutely! Buy them on sale (c: but then you'll listen to them over and over, if you are like us. I used them in 7th, 9th and 11th grades with my girls...and I listen to them for fun sometimes.