Menu

Good place for a child to build a website?

dd12 has decided that she wants to build a website (about tigers) - now, the only "website creation" I have ever done is a blog, and very limited tweaking there (the funky design on my current blog was done by someone else with more skillz than I by far!)......plus, she has said that she doesn't really want it to be a blog, she wants it to be "a real website".

So...I know there are all sorts of places out there to...host? Is that the word I want? ...a website for free....but I don't know what's good...

We need somewhere that is user-friendly...nobody that I know has ever done any website design and if it takes *forever* to learn how to do even some basic stuff, dd12 will lose interest - I don't want that. ;)

Also, something that won't end up with ads on the sides/top/etc that are innapropriate. I don't want dd12's tiger website to have "chat with russian ladies 24/7" emblazoned across the top!

She wants to have multiple "pages" (sections?) that can be clicked through to - I saw a site once with 'tabs' across it and something like that would be cool.....and to be able to put pictures and youtube videos (embedded?) and such on it.

Anyone have a suggestion or few for the best place to create this? :) (Oh and I know sometimes when you have an internet account, you get free "webspace" from your internet company, but we don't have.)

It used to be called Freewebs, but they changed recently to Webs.

I have 3 websites here (for clubs and such). I started one in 2002, one in 2004 and one this year. The company has changed its "rules" over time, so I'll just refer to my latest experience.

My son calls Webs.com the "kiddie pool of the internet" because it's so easy to use. It's free if you let them post ads on your site. If you don't want ads to appear on your site, you have to pay-- I think it's $14/yr.

I don't know if the ad-free option shows up as a choice when you first create your site. They sent me an email about it after my site had been up for a week or so.

For the week that my website allowed ads, I found it interesting that the ads were relevant to the content of my site. Even so, I prefer it ad-free.

Have fun with creating a Tiger site!