Menu

Are There Any English From The Roots Up Users Out There?

iamrachelle

I bought this last year thinking it would be a fun, light way to introduce Latin/Greek roots and words to my DC. However, it has not gotten done. Not even once. :D I'm starting to try and flesh out what I want to use next year and would like to try again. Does anyone have any suggestions for implementing this? What has worked for your family?

I found that I had to make this a "subject" like I do math and science and history. I slacked off for awhile, but now I'm back to using it regularly. (It tuns out to be perfect timing, as we will begin studying Latin roots for body parts at the same time we begin a human anatomy unit in science!)

Anyway, this is what we do:

1. We use these color-coded notebooking pages from NotebookingPages.com (only $1.60 for the download): http://tinyurl.com/Latin-Greek-Word-Study

2. I usually introduce one or two roots in one lesson (and we usually only do one lesson a week in which he is introduced to new words, mainly because of time constraints). I write on our white board the root word, and DS tries to guess what it might mean. (This gets more fun for him the more words we learn, because he is casually introduced to root words he hasn't yet "learned" when he's learning derivatives for roots he *has* learned.) Then I write the meaning, if he hasn't already figured it out.

3. I ask him to think of English words that might use that root word.

4. Using the EFTRU word list on each page, and the notebooking pages I referenced above, we usually write six derivatives for each new root. Some of the derivatives are just that -- forms of the root. (E.g., "fix" is a derivative of figo; there are no additional roots combined with it to make that word.) However, if the derivative is a word that is a combination of root words, I will write the roots up there and ask him if he can figure out the word.

Here's an example: Let's say we are learning "tele." I might write this on the board (see below), but I don't actually write the English derivative or definition. I try to get him to figure out the derivative and meaning based on the roots and their meaning.

tele + skopeo = English derivative

(far away) + (to see) = definition

After guesses, I'll write the answer (if he hasn't figured it out). He then copies that on his notebooking page.

5. The next day, I have him use his notebooking sheets to make note cards as directed in the EFTRU book (index cards with red or green borders, the root word on the front, the definition and some derivatives on the back). That is reinforcing the word and it's meaning (I hope).

6. I make a variety of review worksheets for him, and we usually do one per week -- matching, fill-in-the-blank, crosswords, word searches, etc. I always ask him to do as much as he can from memory, but when he gets to a point that he can't remember any more, then I let him use his note cards or notebooking pages.

7. We play Rummy Roots, and also use the notecards as flash cards. We use other activities suggested in the new Illuminations curriculum, but that is their intellectual property, so I don't feel comfortable sharing it here.

8. I make an occassional quiz or test -- about every 12 roots we learn, after a sufficient time of review, he takes a no-notes-allowed quiz on those roots; then, I give him an occasional test on ALL the roots learned thus far.

So, that's how we are using it. But, I am really interested in hearing how other veteran EFTRU users implement the lessons.

Check out this site, as well, for flash cards, etc.: http://quizlet.com/18070/100-greek-and-latin-word-roots-flash-cards/

I love the ideas jejilly listed. We'll have to try those. Our kids-ds13, dd 10, and dd8-enjoy EFTRU (well the dd8, not as much:glare:). We use the flash cards to review previously learned roots; we play rummy roots some days; some days I write roots we've learned on a white board and the kids write the meaning on paper to check their recall. I made bingo boards with roots on the boards and the English meaning on cards. There is also a great site at

http://www.memorare.com/education/engroots.html where the kids can review the roots with flash cards, play a matching game or take a quiz.

We do one or more of these activities once a week and have been a for a couple of years. It's a great program, :iagree:but it's nice to "flesh it out" as you mentioned.