Menu

How does CLE compare to Abeka in Math?

JenAL

Choosing a math has proven difficult for me. :001_unsure: For those that didn't see my earlier post about Sigapore math, we are currently using Abeka and it is going well. The only thing is I don't feel it's challenging enough.

Fast forward... I am considering just using Singapore as a supplement (by using the Challenging word problems, more than likely). My question is for CLE vs. Abeka. The reason I am considering switching to CLE from Abeka is we are planning to use CLE for LA and Reading and well, it would be convenient to use the math as well. But, I don't want to short change my kids just for convienence, kwim?

So, how do the two compare?

Honestly I don't think you would be short changing your child by using CLE math.I know Abeka has a lot of busy work. I think CLE math is more convenient to use then Abeka math. The lessons are short , the manual isn't cluttered with brick and mortar class stuff. The drill is included in each Light Unit. I do like their word problems for the upper grades they are more challenging then Abeka's are. I don't know. It all boils down to preference. CLE's math runs about a grade ahead most math programs so its not a slow math program.

Just that there are no bells and whistles. Its not a colorful math program. But it gets the job done like any other.

Thank you both for your help. I tried to find this topic at the yahoo group but I couldn't. I will search more later.

TracyR~ I appreciate your insight. I ordered the LA placement tests for CLE and I went ahead and ordered the math as well (I figured I'd save on shipping & if I decided not to use it, I could sell it.) Anyway, it all arrived today and so far I think it looks great. Bells & whistles, colorfullness doesn't matter to me or my children and the actual math problems look very challenging! I am happy with it.

Thanks again for your help, ladies. I am really liking what I see in the diagnostic tests. It appears to have more critical thinking questions than I've seen so far with Abeka. It also appears to include more Geometry at an earlier level. I think I'll give CLE a try. :001_smile:

Thanks again for your help, ladies. I am really liking what I see in the diagnostic tests. It appears to have more critical thinking questions than I've seen so far with Abeka. It also appears to include more Geometry at an earlier level. I think I'll give CLE a try. :001_smile:

We moved from Abeka Arithmetic 3 Lesson 60-something to CLE Math 3 Light Unit 308 without a diagnostic test. So we moved forward. Dd finds it much easier than Abeka. I think I could have gone up a bit more, but I'm finding the continual drill of basic facts right in the lesson very worthwhile.

As you noticed, the CLE word problems are challenging, much more so than Abeka. They made dd cry in the beginning. It's much better now, so I've already seen progress in our second month of using CLE.

Also, the scope is much broader in CLE. You already mentioned geometry, and I'll add fractions and decimals, unit conversion in measurement, and other odds-and-end math related stuff like room temperature, calendar information, etc.

Abeka was more advanced in introducing facts and operations, but I find the introduction of new concepts is gentler, clearer, and more age-appropriate in CLE. Best of all, it's all in the light unit!

All the best to you, whatever you choose. :)