Menu

Mediterranean diet???

My father-in-law has had a severe gall bladder infection and he is going to have it removed next week. His doctor recommended a low-fat diet or something along the lines of the Mediterranean diet. What is that exactly? Someone told me that it was a focus on the use of olive oil, fruits, and vegetables.

The problem is that my in-laws are farmers that love their country cooking--everything is fried, and sugar is key condiment to everything-not just their sweet tea! I call them the hummingbirds how fast they can suck sugar down. My mother-in-law feels like she can solve all problems of the world with a skillet full of fried potatoes(she comes close, believe me!)

Where can I find recipes that are easy and feasible for someone who has no experience with spices other than garlic salt, salt and sugar? Does anyone know a cookbook that has ingredients that she can easily purchase at their Wal-Mart and recipes that call for ingredients that she will use often--not just for one recipe!

This attack was severe and he also has heart problems so they know they need to change but don't have a clue how to! Thanks

When I was having GB issues, I stuck with a low fiber and low fat diet. Raw apples would set me off. On the day of my worst attack, I was eating a bagel with cream cheese and a cup of coffee.

I ate mostly plain cooked chicken and frozen veggies. I made my own chicken soup and ate bread plain.

It's only a week...they can do it.

The Mediterranean diet seems perfect to me. 9-10 servings of fruits and veggies, little starch, whole grain breads, no butter or other such things, healthy oils and nuts and fats, fish twice a week, lean meat otherwise (little to no red meat).

But I don't eat all fried things or potatoes regularly. I LIKE veggies. I LOVE avocados and almonds. I cook with Olive Oil (except during this phase of my current diet).

Here is a site with some info for y'all :) http://www.oldwayspt.org/med_pyramid.html

ETA: this pyramid has a few things different than my other readings about it, but it's similar.

Edited by 2J5M9K