Menu

H.S. science/microscopes - is higher than 400x needed?

I'm researching microscopes, hoping to get one that will last from upper elementary through high school. I've read a lot of Brock Magiscope posts on here, and people seem happy with it, but I notice it only goes up to 400x. Has anyone found it necessary in high school science courses to go to a higher magnification? If so, why? Is 1000x only for oil immersion slides?

Hi Colleen,

I consulted with my son, the microscope expert in this house, who says that he thinks a scope going up to 400x is fine for home use. He is taking a microbiology course at the CC this semester. Yesterday, they did oil immersion slides--very cool, he reports. But he is not sure that the home user would need to have equipment for this case which does use the 1000x magnification.

Hope this helps.

Jane

P.S. Any sewing projects in your life, Colleen?

Hi Colleen,

I consulted with my son, the microscope expert in this house, who says that he thinks a scope going up to 400x is fine for home use. He is taking a microbiology course at the CC this semester. Yesterday, they did oil immersion slides--very cool, he reports. But he is not sure that the home user would need to have equipment for this case which does use the 1000x magnification.

Hope this helps.

Jane

P.S. Any sewing projects in your life, Colleen?

Thanks, Jane! I suppose I should just look at the ones that go up to 400x, and if we have kids who adore biology experiments in high school, look for a higher magnification. I'm just hoping to buy ONE to last for the rest of homeschooling. You know, that frugal thing about me.:lol: Plus, those 1000x ones are a lot more expensive.

No sewing right now. I was so hoping to keep up momentum after Christmas. It seems every year I go into "research mode" in January/February to figure out what to order for the following school year. I want time over the next six months to figure out the nitty gritty of the new year from WTM, and to look over and figure out how to use new materials that I order. Each year, I realize more and more how few useful skills I learned in school. So each year it's like plowing through mountains of sand for me! MY BRAIN HURTS!! :lol: Anyway, my craft corner of the living room is overflowing with materials. I do have a project on the knitting needles though, a knitted bag. Haven't knitted for a little over a week now, though.

I think I've found a microscope I like, that is lower priced. This one is from a company in Canada, and includes slides and a manual. It's part of a "web special" student bundle. It goes up to 600x!!!! And it's just $159.95, which, from what I've been able to find out, is a pretty good price. AND, a girl I know who is a lab tech, said she could put her name in at work, in case any microscopes are being sold off, because they sell them off for like $5-15!!!! I told her I'd love to know if they ever had 1000x ones being sold off. How cool is that??