Menu

Questions about hgih school science from those who have BTDT...

(..and spelling! I meant "high")

Hi! I this is my first post on this part of the boards since my boys are only in K and 2nd. However, I am thinking ahead and need some advice from those who have gone before me.

As I have been looking ahead to science for next year, I have had some questions pop up.

#1. How important is it to give them (kids) a strong foundation in all of the different sciences (Biology, Astronomy, Chemistry, and Physics) before they reach it in high school? Do you feel your kids were prepared? What would you or wouldn't you do differently? Do you feel a simple introduction would be adequate (for me to give my kids)? Maybe not even spending an entire year on a specific science.

We love biology and learning about animals, plants, and doing nature study. I would love to keep doing that (with a bit of Astronomy thrown in) until 7th grade or so, but I am afraid that I would be limiting their knowledge of the other sciences and actually doing them a disservice by the time they hit high school science. What are your thoughts?

#2. Is it possible to keep the kids in the same subject of science? My boys are 2 grades apart (k and 2nd) and I like the ease of having them study the same subject together using the same curriculum. Now, I don't expect the same from each boy, but they are still doing things together. (we are using NOEO Biology 1) So, when I plan...and I know my plans can and will probably change...to do Apologia Physical Science in 7th with my oldest, can I also do it with my 5th grader? Will it be over his head? What about when we get into Chemistry and Physics? Do I need to plan on separating them at that point? Oh how I wish there was something like TOG (multiple kids learning about the same thing but on their level...and it's all planned out!) but for science! Or...is there?

#3. Looking back, what are some things you would change about the path you took to high school science? If you are pleased and satisfied wtih your path, what did that path look like?

Not sure if it matters, but we are not a text booky type of family but more of a "living book" type.

Thanks so much for helping me figure some things out. :001_smile:

Edited by King Alfred Academy

(..and spelling! I meant "high")

#1. How important is it to give them (kids) a strong foundation in all of the different sciences (Biology, Astronomy, Chemistry, and Physics) before they reach it in high school? Do you feel your kids were prepared? What would you or wouldn't you do differently? Do you feel a simple introduction would be adequate (for me to give my kids)? Maybe not even spending an entire year on a specific science.

We love biology and learning about animals, plants, and doing nature study. I would love to keep doing that (with a bit of Astronomy thrown in) until 7th grade or so, but I am afraid that I would be limiting their knowledge of the other sciences and actually doing them a disservice by the time they hit high school science. What are your thoughts?

#2. Is it possible to keep the kids in the same subject of science? My boys are 2 grades apart (k and 2nd) and I like the ease of having them study the same subject together using the same curriculum. Now, I don't expect the same from each boy, but they are still doing things together. (we are using NOEO Biology 1) So, when I plan...and I know my plans can and will probably change...to do Apologia Physical Science in 7th with my oldest, can I also do it with my 5th grader? Will it be over his head? What about when we get into Chemistry and Physics? Do I need to plan on separating them at that point? Oh how I wish there was something like TOG (multiple kids learning about the same thing but on their level...and it's all planned out!) but for science! Or...is there?

#3. Looking back, what are some things you would change about the path you took to high school science? If you are pleased and satisfied wtih your path, what did that path look like?

:001_smile:

I did/do little formal science with my kids in eled. We read TONS of science books. My dh is a closet scientist with a keen intersest in Astronomy so his late mornings home will frequently find him at the computer, surrounded by kids checking out the NASA or Astronomy Today site. We have also taken TONS of field trips, lava rock beds, the Berea Tar Pits, the CapRock, the Badlands, etc etc etc fossil hunting, etc. My dh is a walking science encyclopedia so it's been a passion he has shared. Our kids understand the scientific method and get hypothesis, inquiry, experiment, etc. We also get Science News, BAR, Smitsonian, Nat'l Geo, Ranger Rick, Nat'l Geo Kids. My kids ALL read them! All of that to say, make a science rich environment. I am really blessed to have a science teacher living here! :001_smile:

We've used Apologia. I think that the 5th grader might have a hard time keeping up with the reading. He could handle the experiments in Physical and Bio. There is TONS of memory work in Bio. Have you seen the Learn & File Folders? http://www.liveandlearnpress.com/biology.pdf

Apologia Chem is difficult. I was actually relieved to see others on TWTM board mention that they found it difficult, too.

We haven't done Physics, though I have a series on DVD.

What I would change: research other sciences besides Apologia. Get some of the Teaching Co. tapes.

I'm not sure I've BTDT; I'm more *am there, doing it!*

My oldest had varied science experiences in the early years, from rigorous, formal science in a classical co-op (I think they did Rainbow when he was in 3rd grade! :D) to a couple years of our own delight directed studies. By far, the best things we've done so far in the early years are:

1) a lifestyle of interest in natural science

2) science books and tools all over the house (magnifying glass, rock collection, etc)

3) encouragement to pursue his personal science interests

4) science projects and science fairs

5) showing a family interest in science through museum trips, tv choices, nature studies, camps and classes

HTH,

Lisa

[quote name=

#1. How important is it to give them (kids) a strong foundation in all of the different sciences (Biology' date=' Astronomy, Chemistry, and Physics) before they reach it in high school? Do you feel your kids were prepared? What would you or wouldn't you do differently? Do you feel a simple introduction would be adequate (for me to give my kids)? Maybe not even spending an entire year on a specific science.

You raise really good questions. My oldest is in his 2nd year at college now. My youngest is K. I'll tell you what I think.

I think that the most important thing is to foster kids' curiosity and desire to learn. When they have questions look up the answers and teach them to do that. Let them study what they enjoy. As they get older, teach them the scientific method and have them employ it in their projects. If you all love nature study, throw in some physics and chem as it relates to phenomena in nature.

Ds, my oldest, never studied anything related to chem or phys before high school. He did very well in high school and college science courses. His biggest struggle was writing the lab reports. I have done some of the chem and phys recommendations in TWTM with my logic stage dd, but I think she has retained nothing. Her interests are also nature. I am sure this varies from child to child. Some show definite aptitudes and preferences for different sciences.

I can't say anything about keeping different age kids in the same study, because mine are all 6 years apart!

I look forward to other responses. Science is probably my weakest area.

Blessings,

Mary

Thanks so much for your replies! It is very helpful and encouraging to hear about your personal experiences.

Sounds like we are on a good path. Nature study seems to "just happen" in our home, but the other stuff...not so much.

So, what I am hearing so far is to just go with what interests us and the boys will be alright. Right?

Would love to hear from some others and your experience with science. :D