Menu

New here with a ? about math curricula

JenAL

Hi! Although I've lurked here for some time, this is my first post here. We are in the middle of our first year homeschooling and so far it's been good. I am schooling a 10 yo (5th), almost 8 yo (2nd), 5 yo (K), and I have a 3 yo & 20 month old.

My question...we are using Abeka math this year. They are doing well with it but I just don't think it's challenging them enough. We are hoping to be able to do Algebra I in the 8th grade for the oldest. So, what course should we take from here? Stick with the Abeka, supplement Abeka, or switch programs completely? What program would be good?

Thanks!

Jen:001_smile:

Hi! Although I've lurked here for some time, this is my first post here. We are in the middle of our first year homeschooling and so far it's been good. I am schooling a 10 yo (5th), almost 8 yo (2nd), 5 yo (K), and I have a 3 yo & 20 month old.

My question...we are using Abeka math this year. They are doing well with it but I just don't think it's challenging them enough. We are hoping to be able to do Algebra I in the 8th grade for the oldest. So, what course should we take from here? Stick with the Abeka, supplement Abeka, or switch programs completely? What program would be good?

Thanks!

Usually, I say if it aint broke don't fix it, but, if you're really interested in beefing up Abeka or using a more challenging program, I'd look at Singapore. There's a placement test on their web site.

Welcome!:001_smile:

Usually, I say if it aint broke don't fix it, but, if you're really interested in beefing up Abeka or using a more challenging program, I'd look at Singapore. There's a placement test on their web site.

:iagree:

Folks here sing it's praises and I have two df's that love it.

Thanks!

Welcome!:001_smile:

Thanks!

I love Singapore but it is a hefty program, that doesn't use calculators at all. (You do it all by hand). It is a make you think program.

If you want a supplement I would suggest Life of Fred. If you really want to switch and you or your dh is into math and can help then I would do Singapore (they do have a solutions manual with the whole problem shown not just the answer, but it still takes a certain knowledge level to understand what is going on, KWIM?). If you are not and you want something to switch to I would suggest Foerster's Algebra I. It is a meaty text with proofs (prove that a formula is true, not just accept it and plug numbers into it) and if you run into trouble there is a video text you can buy (though put out by a different company than the text).

Heather

Personally we love Singapore and after years of trying to do it and Saxon, for fear of missing something, we dumped Saxon for younger kids and just do Singapore. On the other side, Singapore is a different way of thinking and doing things and it might be hard to switch the 10 year old over, not impossible, just a lot of background information to catch him up with the program at first. We haven't used Singapore beyond elementary school yet (wasn't really available and in common use when my big kids were younger) so I may like it more, but I was happy with the 8th grade and up Saxon that I used with my bigger kids.

We just switched from ABeka 3. I wouldn't have switched if it were going well. If it's going well for your dc's, why not stay with it and supplement?

While I was debating about dd's math, I posted here a few times with questions about ABeka. I learned two things that might help you.

1. OhElizabeth posted that someone she knew, who seemed very savvy by her description, after much research, decided that the ABeka-Singapore combination is an excellent one. That would support the suggestions of the previous posters. I did Singapore before starting ABeka 2 and in the summer between 2 and 3. There are different ways to combine; you just need to find a method that works for your family.

2. I've also learned here and from friends who use ABeka that you can skip a year in ABeka. I've heard of skipping 6 and going into 7 (basic math) or skipping 7 and going into 8 (pre-algebra). It sounds like your dc's are good in math so that would probably work fine. Doing that, they will be able to do algebra 1 in 8th grade.

HTH!

And, welcome to the boards!:D

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I do like the Abeka Math and the children are doing well with it. I just thought they needed more thinking skill problems. Right now, the 10 yo is taking only about 20 minutes to complete a math assignment so we do have time to supplement. My 2nd grader is doing 2 pages a day (it's easy for her) and is still done in about 15-20 mins each day.

How would supplementing with Singapore work? Can someone give me some suggestions for making it work?

Jennifer