Menu

Math suggestions for 8yo, dyslexic

laure

My dd8 has dyslexia and some vision issues we're working on with a VT (vision therapist). We are using Math-u-See, Beta level (Gr.2). She does okay with it. She is progressing with remembering addition facts, but she really has to think about many of them, and the ones she has to "think" about varies from day to day. Subtraction takes longer. She's struggled with place value and we're playing some games to try to help with that.

I keep wondering if we're missing something, a better program that would help her catch up a little faster. I've looked at Shiller, but the reviews make me skeptical that that would help her. (I had also considered it for her sister who is 4.)

Any suggestions?

Laure

Hi Laure,

I have tried at least 7 different math programs with little success. Over the past couple of days I have been reading about dyslexia on the Bright Solutions website (Susan Barton of Barton Reading Systems). It seems trouble with math facts is part of dyslexia. I haven't gotten all of my questions answered yet, but I wonder if the solution to the math problem is found in the reading solution. An ex math teacher here where I live told me if I want my children to be good at math they need to read good books (logic?). He quit teaching math in the late 70s when he was told not to interfere with the system. He raised his concern that kids were graduating without being literate in math and reading. Perhaps as our kids' reading issues are resolved the math will resolve?

Allison

Both of my sons with dyslexia did fine with Singapore Math. Dyslexia does not particularly impact a math program selection. However, in some kids, there is difficulty with memorizing math facts. There isn't a curriculum that is going to get her facts into her. They need to be acquired via technique (such as the overteaching method) and/or something like Times Tables the Fun Way that Stacey suggested.

Don't hold her up because she doesn't know her facts.

In the meantime, let her use a number line or other visual aid for her facts and keep her moving with her math program.

Singapore is what works for my dyslexic dd also.

She did hit a wall in 3A at the end of 3rd grade. We spent almost all of 3rd grade trying to work through 3A. I finally gave up on Singapore for her. I tried Professor B for 2-3 months, but she HATED it.

Then I tried Moving with Math level B (3rd-4th grade levels). That was okay. My dd finished all of level B about 2/3 of the way through 4th grade. She didn't want to continue with MWM though. I showed her a bunch of different programs. She finally asked to return to Singapore Math.

With all that she had done over the previous year, she was able to skip 3B and start with 4A. Whatever it was that had her stymied before has apparently passed. She has been able to finish the books in one semester each since we returned to Singapore. She did 4A for the rest of 4th grade, 4B for the first half of 5th grade, and is now working in 5A for the 2nd half of 5th grade.

Edited by AngieW in Texas

You might also want to look at RightStart Math. It's comparable to MUS in that it is a mental math program that uses manipulatives and stresses true understanding over rote memorization. It's very good for children who struggle with math, but it also works well for my daughter who is gifted in math. I've heard it's one of the top choices for dyslexic children. We've used it for 3 years and I couldn't be happier. My 8yo daughter I believe has Asperger's along with some visual issues that may need vision therapy (she has headaches and falls down, spills things, etc.). She has some dyslexic tendencies, but I don't know if she is true dyslexic (I'm having her fully evaluated next month). She does very well with this program. She is the one who is gifted in math. However, my 11yo also uses this program. She is NOT gifted in math and her psychologist says she actually has a mild math disability. The program works great for both of them.

http://www.alabacus.com

RS yahoo group - http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/RightStart/

They need to be acquired via technique (such as the overteaching method) and/or something like Times Tables the Fun Way that Stacey suggested.

2nd....though for multiplication fact acquisition, I prefer _Memorize in Minutes: The Times Tables_.

For learning addition and subtraction fact acquisition/automaticity/drill, I recommend using RightStart Math's card games.....the set of games and the book. There are a variety of computer games that deal with math facts, making drill fun.

:)

K