Menu

Any Bravewriters out there? What's your schedule/routine?

msjones

Is anyone out there using Bravewriter? I like so much about the program, use The Arrow consistently with my 9 year-old, but find myself needing more of a routine to get the 'real' writing projects done. I used the emails for a while, but found the pace of them to be too quick.

Can anyone help me by sharing their Bravewriter schedule?

I'm using Brave Writer, but I didn't start it until late last fall. I wish I had purchased The Writer's Jungle a long time ago. It would have saved me some sleepless nights and much aggravation!

I started with The Arrow and liked it immediately. Then, I purchased The Writer's Jungle. I'm still reading through it, but I'm almost done. The methods that Julie recommends are ones that I was already using on my own. So, it feels like "home" to me, fits my style very well.

So far, we are using The Arrow a few days a week, doing the Friday freewrites, and then doing her "just one thing" ideas a few days a week. I use First Language Lessons for grammar (she uses Winston Grammar) and Spelling Power a few days a week. We were already having a weekly Tea during which time we read poetry and listen to classical music.

I've started a file where I keep the Friday freewrites and after we accumulate eight of them, I'll have my son pick one that he wants to expand and take through the revision process. We haven't taken a project "all the way through" yet.

I like getting the emails but I do whatever I want to do whenever I want to do it. I may not do something on the day she recommends, but I do eventually get to most things during a typical week. I think it helps that I was already doing the things that she advises one to do. So, we do atleast "one thing" everyday but I don't really need a very structured schedule. Since we started, we have been consistent and it's already paying off. My son started the freewrites with one sentence, I think. He was a nervous wreak and not happy. Now, he is already looking forward to the freewrites. The last one he did, he sat and laughed through the whole thing.

So, obviously, this is good for us. Sorry I can't be more helpful with a schedule. I just do something everyday and my next thing is to take one topic (from the freewrites) and carry it through the whole process. I believe someone asked this on the BW Forum recently. I can't remember what was suggested. Have you checked there?

Also, Merry (MerryatHope) uses BW and she has been visiting this board some lately. Maybe she will see your post or you could look her up and visit her blog.

Edited by Donna T.

I used the emails for a while, but found the pace of them to be too quick.

I just use the emails as a reminder, but I don't do exactly what she advises each day. I like to get them just to nudge myself to consider what I may have overlooked recently.

Again, we just started but yes, I can see that the pace of the emails is lickety split. Just remember, she is just advising that you do one thing each day. Anything.

Edited by Donna T.

I was doing this schedule:

M-Copywork

T-Tea

W-journal

TH-project/arrow

F-Freewrite

Wednesday & Thursday were days I could change it up if I wanted, if the arrow wasn't very full that week etc...

I'm looking at Jump In for next year, it seems Bravewriter-esque in a workbook format. I read the sample chapter up on Apologia's site. I'll still keep up copywork, I took the class & it was awesome. You really could build a whole curriculum around copywork and dictation.

Merry :-)

I have been doing bits and pieces up until now. But in 2009 I'm planning to get stuck in.

My schedule is

M: Nothing

T: Tuesday Teatime and Copywork

W: Assignment/Just one thing etc

T: Dictation

F: Freewrite

I'll also be doing some revision in the freewrites for the first time this year and I'm going to do the Kids Write Basic course in the Spring courses.