Menu

Draw And Write Through History reviews?

RootAnn

I saw this the other day and am thinking of using it ("Medieval - book 3) as our "art" program for next year in conjunction with SOTW II. My going-to-be first grader is our "artist" and loves to draw and color. I wouldn't do an art program at all, but I think she would really like it.

Any comments on the actual use of it as a supplement to SOTW / another history program, or just as a stand alone book?

I have it. I bought it for my second grade son, he draws all the time. It is a little advanced for him. It requires drawing a lot of sight lines and erasing, he isn't really capable of penciling in softly and erasing gently at this point. When he draws, he never erases, so that is new to him. It is very detailed and the copywork is in cursive, which he is just learning. It is a beautiful book, but it will be more practical on our next go round of medieval history, in my opinion. He does get it out occasionally and he will draw a castle to look similar to the finished one in the picture, but he hasn't followed the step-by-step directions. The same can be accomplished with a lovely picture book. If money is no object and you're curious, get it. I wish it were more on the level of Draw Write Now, that would be more ability-appropriate and I would recommend it without hesitation.

HTH!

When he draws, he never erases, so that is new to him. It is very detailed and the copywork is in cursive, which he is just learning. . . . The same can be accomplished with a lovely picture book. If money is no object and you're curious, get it. I wish it were more on the level of Draw Write Now, that would be more ability-appropriate and I would recommend it without hesitation.

Money is always an option. That is something I liked about this - it is less than $13. That's just over what I would have spent on ONE consumable art program (ArtPac). This kid erases a ton. We even have erasable colored pencils for that very reason. I'm not worried about the cursive as both the kids are learning cursive this year.

You really think it would give the same end result as a lovely picture book? That's disappointing because I know she can't draw something by just looking at a picture in a picture book. She isn't THAT good an artist. Hmmm.

I actually bought this tonight for $9.70. It's on sale at http://www.homeschooldiscountproducts.com/servlet/Categories?category=25%25+-+Draw+and+Write+Through+History

If you search the boards, you'll find a post where it comes highly recommended. I'm not sure of the posters kids' ages though. Mine will be 6, 9 and 11 next year so figured I'd find a use somewhere. And we do use the Artpacs for the two older ones and they really enjoy them. I'm surprised at how much they get out of it and pleased since it was the easiest way for me to do art this year.

My guys have used the one for Greece and Rome this year. I wanted something other than the coloring pages included in the SOTW AG because neither of them have any interest in those.

I too wanted to use it for art and it has worked out fairly well. It is definitely a jump from the coloring page. I agree with the tiffany k in that it is advanced with having to draw, then erase lines.

Overall though, I would recommend it because there's just not a whole lot out there in terms of budget-friendly, history-related products. And, I'm pleased with the boy's final drawings.

I should note that I let them dictate how much they want to attempt at each weekly lesson with a minimum effort of 15-20 minutes. I figure the slower and more methodical we go, the less likely they'll be frustrated.