Menu

Lamp and Quill questions...

siloam

For those who are not familiar with L&Q it is a multi age Inductive Bible study.

What do you like about it? What negatives does it have?

Do you have to buy the student workbook (my kids are pretty pencil phobic and I want to keep Bible fun), or can you work orally from the Study Guide?

Does anyone know the difference between the Parent Study Guide and the Family Leader Study Guide? I didn't initially see much of a difference.

Is there any yahoo groups, or another online support group for L&Q?

Oh and is there an answer key? I didn't see any answers in the Study Guide.

Do you all use the crafts/games/coloring book much? Those are the one's I can see my kids getting into. They are very kinesthetic.

Thanks!

Heather

I think I have some answers for you. I reviewed this here.

I am happy to answer anything this review does not answer for you. :)

HTH!

Warmly,

Kate

Kate,

Thank you, that did answer most of my questions.

I don't think I saw anything on time. Generally, when covering a bare minimum, how long does it take? I realize games and crafts can add to the time quickly.

Next would be if the workbooks are a must. My oldest would do fine with the 3-4th grade level but I am pretty relaxed in the early grades in requiring written work of any sort, so for the other three I was thinking they could just listen into the scripture I read while doing the craft or coloring a picture. Would that work?

From the differences you listed I would want the Parent Study Guide, but I am still wondering if there is an answer key of any sort? Not that the questions seem that difficult, it just allows me to check things at night in front of the TV with mind disengaged instead of being full present. ;)

Maybe I should back up and explain that I wasn't really looking for something for all my kids, but for an inductive type study that was fun for my oldest. Given it does work for all ages I might changing things, but then again I really enjoy working with each child individually on their own level, so I might not. How is that for decisive? Time and prayer will give me the answer. :cool:

Heather

Kate,

Thank you, that did answer most of my questions. (...)

Time: It will completely depend on how you deal with the questions and what rabbit trails you go on--because you will. :) It has been such a rich study for us that opens up all sorts of other discussion. Generally it takes us from 15 minutes to a half an hour to do the questions and discuss them. I use the Jr.Hi/Sr.Hi book for my 11yo as we all wanted to have the same book. (She was ten when we started and did just fine in it.) So my 13yo, 10yo, and I all have the same questions. The parent books have more for you to use - crafts, games, other discussion questions, etc. that the children's books don't have. Your oldest could also use the Junior book and you would both have similar questions and sometimes the same. I do have my dc write out the answers because I think it helps in the learning, but they are by no means essay questions. :)

As for your littles - yes, what you have in mind is exactly what would work. I would not buy the younger books at all unless you were going to sit down with them and do each individual child. Your own ideas are much more engaging for that age anyway and the activity books or coloring books are perfect for them.

For the most part you really don't need an answer key for the parent book. Almost all of the answers are in the scripture you are studying. Very little requires extra information. There are a few answers for things like crossword puzzles, etc., in the back of the parent books. There is really nothing to check at night - we go over all these questions together out loud so once you put it away it is away. There were a few times that I didn't know the answers to certain things and I just used it as an opportunity to look things up in our books or online. It always works out. :)

I do highly recommend looking at their samples to see what level you would rather have. I do love this study. It is thorough and interesting and it has held all our interests.

Warmly,

Kate

Kate,

Thank you, again!

At this point I know my oldest could do the upper level books, she has the reading and writing skills, but I think she would like the lower level because it has more puzzle such...though she could use the activity book. To make sure I will print out samples of several levels and let her choose before I order.

One last question, I think. ;) Do I need to buy a separate coloring, activity and craft book for each child, or do those allow you to make copies?

Blessings,

Heather

One last question, I think. ;) Do I need to buy a separate coloring, activity and craft book for each child, or do those allow you to make copies?

Blessings,

Heather

That is the one question I don't know the answer to. :) I would email them before you purchase and ask. Make sure you let them know it is for your own children and not for a class.

I hope you enjoy it! We sure have.

Warmly,

Kate

Just out of curiousity do they change the weekly lesson every week? I am would love to use it a couple of weeks to see if we like it. wondering also can you start anywhere in the rotation?

thanks

lori

When you mean change the lesson, what do you mean? Every week there is a different portion of scripture to study if that is what you mean. Is it?

Yes, you can jump in anywhere. We started with the first book, but I don't think it would be impossible to start somwhere else.

:) Kate

When you mean change the lesson, what do you mean? Every week there is a different portion of scripture to study if that is what you mean. Is it?

Yes, you can jump in anywhere. We started with the first book, but I don't think it would be impossible to start somwhere else.

:) Kate

I think she is asking if they change the sample so she can have a few weeks to test it out with her kids.

Heather

I think she is asking if they change the sample so she can have a few weeks to test it out with her kids.

Heather

OH! I have no idea, honestly. I don't work for them - I just wrote the review and use the program in our home. I kind of doubt they rotate the sample though. :)

Kate