Menu

Switching to Singapore Math

mamapjama

What do I need? Ds is about halfway or more through the orange book of Miquon. I'm just not finding that there is enough connection being made.

If I go with Singapore do I need the Teacher's manual? Are there that many games and add ons to make it worthwhile?

Each grade level has two text books and two workbooks from what I can see. Do you use both or would just the workbooks be enough?

And I see that there is a US edition. I'm in Canada. Is the only difference between this edition and the earlier one the money and measurement sections?

Would you begin with 1A or go to 1B where he has been working with Miquon?

Thanks!

Go the the SM website and have your dc take the free placement tests. Then you'll know what level.

I would also read the current thread about US vs SE and make your decision from there.

For hs, don't buy the teacher's guides - get the HIG's if available. Some aren't out yet for the SE. However, I bought a few HIG's when we used the US ed, and found I didn't use them. If you're somewhat afraid of math, perhaps buy a HIG. Also, we tend to work at a different rate than the HIG suggests, so it became more irrelevant.

Also, at the SM website, there is a forum in which, Jenny from SM, will get back to you with very detailed responses.

I think I would go back and do 1A just to be "safe." Singapore teaches the concept of number bonds right off the bat in there and you probably don't want to miss that.

I use the HIG (not the TG) and we actually do follow the schedule pretty closely (the one in the front of the book, that is). We don't do all the activities listed with the lessons because usually ds "gets it" pretty easily without those things. But I can't imagine now having a guide of some sort. I think I would miss a lot to not use their schedule for Practices, Mental Math, and extras.

Hats off to you. I can't imagine using Miquon as my core. Those books confuse me! LOL

Edited by Tree House Academy

I am another fan of th HIG. But then, I was math phobic. It helped me get over that, so I'm eternally grateful!

Yes, there are games and strategies for teaching--furthermore, the entire "method" of SM is in the textbook and the HIG.

My son started with 1A and 1B at the beginning of Grade 2. We are now doing 4A. I only refer to the HIG when it is necessary--but I'm grateful to have it.

My daughter is in 3A. I find she needs more practice for the methods to solidify. She does the text with me, and then I turn her loose to do the workbook, the scheduled Mental Math sheet (in the HIG) and an Intensive Practice worksheet. She also does the games on the Computer Cd/DVDs.

Good luck. It's a great program. oh--and I supplemented with workbooks from the office supply store when it came to do math with money--I also did a lot of coin and note recognition with games and such. But the problems quickly start using actual figures--so it doesn't really matter that the "money" is US (in our edition).