Menu

Painting on pottery for 6 year olds

We are doing a joint 6 yo birthday party for my daughter and her best friend at a local pottery painting store. I just wondered if there were any patterns for painting or ideas for plates and such online. This is not my area of expertise so I am looking for advice from those who have done these parties. We have chosen the little ceramic boxes to paint.

At this age, it's really a free-for all. We did that last year when my dd turned 6. My daughter, initially, was going for a realistic-color for her horse, until her friend started painting hers purple... next thing I know, dd's got a rainbow pony!).

If you want to give your dd some ideas, you might try googling something like "ceramic boxes." If you want to incorporate some "art" into the activity, talk about lines and the different types of lines (diagonal, zig-zag, curved, swirls, free-form... etc.) and have her practice making patterns and coloring them in with crayons or colored pencils. Then talk about how pretty her box would look painted with these different lines, or flowers, or things like that.

OR, you could draw a picture of the box and have her make a few "samples" of what she would like the box to look like when it's finished.

But, in the end, most 6yo art is pretty much flying by the seat of the pants kind of thing -- and may change on a whim.

Lisa

I wouldn't stress about the design. Every kid I've seen just has an instinct about the colors they like, and where they want those colors to be. And, they'll resist your desire to try to steer them down a path toward planning and design. It really is (and should be, imo) a "free for all" at this age. Just let them choose their favorite colors, and let them go for it.

Are the boxes going to be fired after painting, or are you using acrylics? If they are going to be fired, then the kids can draw design ideas directly on the boxes with pencil, and the pencil marks will disappear when it's fired. Just try to get them to make the designs as large and simple as possible (a single flower on top, instead of a whole bouquet). The results will be much better.

Some simple designs, if they ask, would be simple five-petal flower, a butterfly or dragonfly, circles or other shapes, stripes, dots, speckles. The pottery place will also have sponges and rubber stamps and other things like that for putting designs on.

ETA: I forgot to mention an idea. Ever since my dc were about 4yo, I have taken them to a pottery place on their birthdays. I have them make a plate every year. The first year, we did hand prints. Since then, they choose to draw and paint whatever they happen to be "in" to that year. Dd painted cats on her plates for about five years in a row. :) We put their name and age on the back. I display them all in my kitchen, on a plate shelf above my cabinets. I love them! My other kids come along, and paint a little figure or two while the birthday kids paints their plate and one other figure (if they want). It's our favorite birthday tradition, and I've been amazed at the beautiful plates they have created through the years. I've attached an old photo of the plates in the kitchen. You can't really see the details on the plates, but you get the idea.

post-417-13535082777329_thumb.jpg

post-417-13535082777329_thumb.jpg

Edited by Suzanne in ABQ