Menu

Recipe for those afraid of making pie crust

I got this out of a newspaper *years* ago, and have just gotten around to making it. Basically, pie on a cookie sheet. Young bakers could do this before they could do a pie:

dough: 1 1/2 C all purp flour mixed with 1/2 teas salt and 1 teas sugar

cut in 4 oz cold butter to blueberry sized crumbs

toss in 3-5 T ice water until "it holds together"

Knead minimally, flatten into a disc, wrap in saran wrap and put in the fridge for 30 mintues.

Stuffing: 3 C chopped rhubarb, 2 C sliced strawberries (mix), toss in 1 C sugar mixed with 1/3 C flour. Add 1 t ginger powder and 1 T balsamic vinegar, toss, let sit 10 minutes.

Roll out the dough to a 12 inch circle (about 1/8th inch thick). Put the stuffing on it, leaving a 2 inch ring of bare dough around the mound of stuffing. Start folding over this rim, so that the thing looks like those old leather coin pouches, with each fold lapping over the last. The end goal is an 8 inch circle. Sprinkle 1 T sugar over the top (I used cinn sugar), place on an ungreased cookie sheet and stick in freezer 10 minutes.

Bake at 400 F x 40 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before serving.

An even simpler dish for a child is JOC's Apple Crisp. This one travels and rewarms well.

Pare, core, slice thinly enough tart apple to make 4 cups. Place in a 9 inch pie pan. (JOC recipe says you can use 4 cup peaches, sugared rhubarb or pitted cherries...I've only used apple). Season with 2 T lemon juice unless the apples are really, really tart.

Work with pastry cutter or fingertips

1/2 cup all purp flour

1/2 cup packed brown sugar (light or dark works)

1/4 cup butter

1/2 teas salt if butter is unsalted

1 teas cinn (or less, or none)

Spread this lightly worked crumb over the mound of apples and bake at 375 F for half an hour.

YUMMMMM

Heehee. I'm one of those, but I totally knocked it out of the park with a similar recipe just this week. I'll have to make crust again before I check it off my life list, just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, but I seem to be able to make consistently edible biscuits, so I'm feeling pretty good about my new, non-yeast mastery right now. :D

I LOVE strawberry-rhubarb pie, though, so I'll be copying this one down. Thanks!