Menu

Any use Singapore Science??

NoPlaceLikeHome

I am currently using i-science (Grade four) for this coming year. When I went to purchase components for it (I had bought the textbook on sale and then realised I needed the workbooks) I discovered that it has been discontinued. So, don't start that program, lol! There are syllabuses on-line for Singapore science. Just type in the term into google.

So far, we've used MPH Science 3A-5B.

• open and go (except for a some activities -- we omitted the few more complicated ones)
  • integrated -- I don't approve of the WTM science approach of discrete studies because it makes it more difficult to see the relationships between different branches of science
  • "extra" projects in text are realistic in scope and add to the experience (they don't feel like busywork)
  • secular
  • good use of graphics
  • built around themes of systems and cycles and gives a good appreciation of complexity of systems

There are other elementary programs written at a higher level (for example, many of the materials used by NOEO are more advanced), but IMHO MPH provides an good overview for higher level studies.

We are using MPH 3a right now. There are pros and cons. I like it because it is integrated science and I really like the relationships it shows. DD doesn't care for it too much, mostly because we spent last year mostly on animals and the first unit here is animals...she really doesn't care much for animals.

I do use this in conjunction with the WTM so we are doing MPH 3a AND Earth Science. I just felt like the combination of the 2 was a good fit for us.