Menu

Human Odyssey Vol. 1 by K12-questions

Karie

If you use this book, I have some questions for you:

1)What ages/grades do you use this with?

2) Do you just use this as a reading text with another program?

3) If you use it by itself, what do you add to it as far as assignments, etc?

4) Can you give me any other insights into how you incorporate this text into your history?

Thanks!

If you use this book, I have some questions for you:

Well, I'm not using it yet, but I'm planning on using it next year, and I've been spending a lot of time with it trying to figure out how (ask me how I spent my Christmas break :tongue_smilie:)

1)What ages/grades do you use this with?

Next year I'll be using it with two 11yo (6th) and an 8yo (3rd/4th). It is written as a middle-school text - the K12 site says reading level grade 7+.

2) Do you just use this as a reading text with another program?

That's kind of my plan. I'm going to use it as my spine and read it aloud. I think it's written well enough that it should hold the interest of my younger dd as well. But I don't have another "program" except what I come up with myself.

3) If you use it by itself, what do you add to it as far as assignments, etc?

4) Can you give me any other insights into how you incorporate this text into your history?

I'm thinking of assigning the older two the corresponding bits of Speilvogel's Human Odyssey and answer some of the section/chapter end questions. It's a bit drier, but also fairly condensed. At least one other poster here has tried this successfully, so I'm hopeful that will work.

I'll also assign lots of historical fiction, myths and folktales, biographies, and other non-fiction books at the two levels, watch relevant videos, take field trips, and have them do map work.

I'm also thinking I'll have them to a time line. I don't think I'll expect much output out of the younger one yet, except the time line - at this point I'm much more concerned with her sinking in to it and enjoying it than analyzing it.

My oldest used it as part of K12's World History A course a few years ago, and she still remembers it as one of her favorite history books. I had to go search her shelves to find in so I could answer your questions. :)

K12's middle school history courses (which include World History A and B) are designed to be used by a range of grade levels (5th-9th) because of the standards requirements in different states. The text, which is the spine of the courses, is well suited to that ability range. (My current 5th grader would have no trouble reading and following it.)

There are no assignments in the text. If you wanted to stick to a WTM-type approach to history, you could have the child read, narrate, do an outline, do some mapwork, pick up library books on the topic... basically the same way you'd use Kingfisher with the WTM recommendations. There are timelines at the conclusion of each "Part" along with occasional definitions and sidebars. So there's plenty of material in the text to work with if you don't want to add something else.

Or you could take a simpler approach and just read and discuss or have the child do a written narration. The text is engaging and pretty comprehensive. Personally, I think it's a great history spine. The book is beautiful, hardcover with plenty of illustrations, maps, etc.

Hope this helps!

I also bought mine on Amazon for under 5.00-can't beat that price. I have it here in front of me and I'm trying to figure out what others have done for tests, writing assignments, etc. There isn't any comprehension questions in the book, so I'm wondering how others have put this together.

I have vol. I. I am using it with DD in 6th grade and 11 years old. At first I tried to get teacher notes from K-12, but they don't sell them separately.

From the beginning of the school year DD read and outlined or narrated her reading. This did not produce the desired result. I did not feel DD was getting all she could from her reading. So, now we are reading together and discussing the reading and pulling out other resources (encyclopedias, art books, myths etc.) to round out our discussions. I really like this text. It reads well. We also do mapping from Trail Guide to The World, a time line and extra and very different work sheets from Focus: world History from Walch.

Wildirs