Menu

Moving to Santa Monica--CA homeschooling ?, anyone in the LA area?

It looks like we're moving to Santa Monica, CA, this summer. (We're currently in Little Rock, AR.)

Anyone from the LA area?

Also, I've been reading up about CA homeschooling law, do any of you incorporate as your own private school? How much paperwork is it really? Is it worth the money to just pay and join an established one? (We'll most likely be there only a year.)

I am not near Santa Monica. You will have so many fun opportunities in LA!!!

We do the private school affidavit.

It is about 10 minutes online to complete. Doesn't cost anything. VERY simple, and I would especially recommend it if you are only going to be here a short while. I would not recommend paying to join a private school for that short amount of time. There was a little bit of a stink a year ago with one legal case, but the decision was vacated and it has been quiet since then.

We do the private school affidavit.

It is about 10 minutes online to complete. Doesn't cost anything. VERY simple, and I would especially recommend it if you are only going to be here a short while. I would not recommend paying to join a private school for that short amount of time. There was a little bit of a stink a year ago with one legal case, but the decision was vacated and it has been quiet since then.

Thanks!

I can do that. The legalese I was reading made it sound like a lot of work and record keeping.

Since I am living here long-term, I make sure I have a binder with anything I might need should someone come knocking on my door (HIGHLY unlikely, but still... making sure I am within the boundaries of the law).

I have a copy of vaccinations.

I have a copy of the affidavit to give to anyone who asks for it and is in authority.

I keep an attendance log - usually updated every week or two. Even just your planbook with a calendar that you check off the days they have worked. Also, the only "required" minutes are p.e., 200 minutes for every 10 days. So I write the number of p.e. minutes on the attendance sheet as well.

Private schools are required to provide instruction in the same subject areas covered in public schools. So, as long as you do math, language arts, p.e., science, history and music or art, you are fine.

I am very good at figuring out what goes where. Went on a field trip to the museum? Art. While in the car, had dd work out a math problem involving rate of speed and distance to location? Math. Discussed use of taxes in paying for roads, police, teachers, and some museums? Social Studies. Of course that isn't all we do... but it's nice to have some wiggle room, and no one is going to ask "What were you doing on July 18, 2005?" anyway.

Since I am living here long-term, I make sure I have a binder with anything I might need should someone come knocking on my door (HIGHLY unlikely, but still... making sure I am within the boundaries of the law).

I have a copy of vaccinations.

I have a copy of the affidavit to give to anyone who asks for it and is in authority.

I keep an attendance log - usually updated every week or two. Even just your planbook with a calendar that you check off the days they have worked. Also, the only "required" minutes are p.e., 200 minutes for every 10 days. So I write the number of p.e. minutes on the attendance sheet as well.

Private schools are required to provide instruction in the same subject areas covered in public schools. So, as long as you do math, language arts, p.e., science, history and music or art, you are fine.

I am very good at figuring out what goes where. Went on a field trip to the museum? Art. While in the car, had dd work out a math problem involving rate of speed and distance to location? Math. Discussed use of taxes in paying for roads, police, teachers, and some museums? Social Studies. Of course that isn't all we do... but it's nice to have some wiggle room, and no one is going to ask "What were you doing on July 18, 2005?" anyway.

Thanks! You have to do most of that if you join someone else's school anyway, it just seemed like more than that from some of the things I was reading...a lot more forms and crazy requirements.

While you're in LA, be sure to visit the Getty Center and the Getty Villa. And the Huntington Gardens and Library near Pasadena. You've got lots of wonderful opportunities!

Thanks for the ideas. We're looking forward to it. Also, to going to the beach when everyone else is in school!