Menu

WTMindy, can I just say I am impressed

momee

Your website alone is such a blessing to this mom of many. I've been so busy with prepping for my rhetoric level ds I have been neglecting the planning for the youngers. I am inspired to jump back into our schoolwork after this lengthy break with an attitude of diligence but fun included too.

Those notebook pages still have me a bit perplexed though, are you using a notebook page (I do see the link for those and have some I got without pictures on them) but also putting a lapbook of your choice from the TOG ones as well? I found an old post

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60189&highlight=mindy+notebook+pages

saying I would find more info about the pages but didn't see an organization type tab to click on. So, I just went through the pages you made for the unit we're on to get an idea of what kind of things you add to each week. I think my girls would like it.

I'm impressed that you'd include stuff like King Solomon and the Ants poem

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/King_Solomon_and_the_Ants

how do you come up with this stuff?

Anyway, Happy New Year to you and thanks again for such a great site. It has been time well spent with dh and the kids gone - I've had time to browse and best of all for my kids, to be inspired.

• 4 weeks later...

Momee, thanks so much for your kind words that I somehow missed the first time around!! :-)

What I did with the notebook pages was basically to use the blank notebook pages that I found here and then I decided which one fits best with the lapbooks (the ones that TOG has) for that week. If there are extra squares I try and fill it with something that I think will be appropriate. I'm actually not very creative and I wish I could come up with beautiful ideas on my own!! :-) Some of the ideas for my dictation came from other people's dicatation lists and some I just googled a person to see if I could come up with quotes by them.

Let me know if you have any other questions!! :001_smile:

• 2 months later...

Resurrecting this from a while ago.

If you're around Mindy - I've been looking for a new format to give my soon to be 6th grader to help her schedule her week with TOG now that she's movin up to dialectic level.

I remembered your great blog and peeked around there, but didn't find something you give to your kids each week.

Maybe you don't use a form? I looked at the sample on TOG's website but it isn't typeable - only good for printing. There are others there that I could type on but they include other subjects that we might not do so I'd have to modify it. Plus, I'm just curious as to how you've managed to get them so independently doing work at this age :)

Just askin - I could make it work with what I've found but since our girls are so close in age and doing TOG, I thought I'd ask.

Anyone else reading and feels compelled, I'd love to see a weekly schedule sheet for TOG subjects.

Thanks.

Resurrecting this from a while ago.

If you're around Mindy - I've been looking for a new format to give my soon to be 6th grader to help her schedule her week with TOG now that she's movin up to dialectic level.

I remembered your great blog and peeked around there, but didn't find something you give to your kids each week.

Maybe you don't use a form? I looked at the sample on TOG's website but it isn't typeable - only good for printing. There are others there that I could type on but they include other subjects that we might not do so I'd have to modify it. Plus, I'm just curious as to how you've managed to get them so independently doing work at this age :)

Just askin - I could make it work with what I've found but since our girls are so close in age and doing TOG, I thought I'd ask.

Anyone else reading and feels compelled, I'd love to see a weekly schedule sheet for TOG subjects.

Thanks.

I have used a variety of different things, and I change the "form" frequently to meet my needs better. I now am thrilled to be using Homeschool Tracker Plus, where I print out weekly assignment calendars. There is a bit of a learning curve with the HST, but now that I get it, I really like it!! All the TOG reading assignments are listed on Monday and then the kids just make sure they are done with their reading and questions by Friday. We have a block of time on Monday afternoon where we get a good start on their reading and I read some history out loud to them also. My dd is a self-motivated student (my son is less so. :-)) and so, she is pretty good about making sure she gets her stuff read. With my son, I just ask him each day if he is on track with his reading to make sure he is getting it done. They know they have to finish it on the weekend if they don't get it done, and they don't want to have to do that. :-)

I don't know if this answers your question.

Yes, thanks. It answers the question - you use HST to print schedules. Glad to hear you like it. It looks as ominous to me as TOG looks to most people checking it out.

I think the TOG form (which they did email me to manipulate thankfully) may work best at this point. My school money has to go to books at the present.

Thanks to both of you for your help.