Menu

SL user using WTM....

Mom2MLA

Hi,

We are SL users who have been strictly SL (modified by supplementing a lot) up until now. I am interested in tweaking it a bit, to incorporate SWB's "outlining" practices into our history studies. For me, the most disappointing aspect of SL has been the lack of written work-product for the amount of history we've covered. And, as my oldest daughter progresses into the logic stage -- 7th grade, I see this as a major failing. She does do her history reading on her own, and I do have her write summaries, but because its not part of the program it ends up putting us further behind

Next year we will study World History and are looking at doing Core 6 (or something else--what are Biblioplans?). Does anyone have any advice for how to best incorporate some classical methods into SL's Core 6? Also, what are/were your favorite supplements for that core? How do those of you who do "classical" education with SL do it? Probably a sillly question but TWTM approach is new to me. Oh, and my children are 6/K, 9/3d, and 12/6th.

TIA,

Meredith

We also found WTM this year and are blending Sonlight and WTM. My dd is going to do Core 1 with SOTW1 instead of CHOW next year. We'll be adding in additional narrations for History and the Read-Alouds(we've done that this year). We are continuing with FLL and adding WWE next year for LA. I also wrote my own science curriculum to fit WTM ideas. In the end with all the changes, I couldn't let go of all the great books from Sonlight. I'm interested in how others are blending SL and WTM at the logic and rhetoric stages.

I did this for Core 6, this year, by blending the SL readers & read alouds with HO level 2 Ancients and Middle Ages. To keep us from failing behind, I cut some of the lessons in HO, did not follow the IG for SL, and dovetailed the SL books that coincided with HO. I plan to do something similar for Core 7, but we won't be able to use HO as there is not a level two Modern yet available. I plan on writing out my own lessons using the Ancients/MA's as a guide, and heavily supplementing SL 7 readers/read alouds with bks from Core 200 & 300 to match her reading level.