Menu

Question about Latin supplementation

BryRon

I am going to use MCT Grammar Island and all of that; my question is this: should I supplement with one of the Latin curricula that I see on here? I don't know if a) it's even necessary; or b) will the MCT be enough?

I am pretty sure I want to push Latin - but would appreciate any input from the "old-timers" (no offense meant!) as to their thoughts.

T'anks!

I'm not sure I understand. Grammar Island includes no Latin, right? It's simply a grammar curriculum?

So why would Latin be a supplement to that?

Are you asking if you should do Latin? Are you considering it *only* as an aspect of English grammar instruction?

I'm a strong proponent of Latin -- I think learning a classical language from early on helps with the understanding of how language works (in a much broader way than simply learning the grammar of one's native tongue), it can develop logical thinking and attention to detail, it can help with vocabulary that has been derived from those languages, it opens up another culture (one with a rise and fall that we can see and contemplate as outsiders), and with study it will allow the student to read classics in their original language...

I think the study is formative for young minds and the fruits of that study give maturing minds wonderful things to mull over...

But I wouldn't consider Latin a grammar supplement...

The MCT vocab program will cover Latin roots and prefixes, but I'd still recommend doing a full-blown Latin program. However, I'm not sure what you mean by supplement, or to what end?

included in the LA curricula by MCT, which explains the etiology of some words; it's just not very comprehensive. That's what I meant by "supplementing". I think maybe I chose my words incorrectly. I do not think that Latin is an aspect of grammar - I look at it as its own course, a part of her Core Education, which in my mind falls under the umbrella of "Language Arts", which includes vocabulary (both building and understanding), grammar, writing and sentence structure, etc.

She currently has a 7th grade vocabulary, according to her PS teacher; I think she's more at a 5th or 6th grade level, so she certainly has the propensity to grasp and understand Latin. Hence the question, though it was probably not worded right, as I mentioned above.

I totally concur with you about the need for Latin in school, as it will benefit her when college comes about, as well as in her desire to read everything that comes into our house, especially the classics.

I'm sorry if I offended - I think I was mainly trying to bounce some ideas around and see what others thought.

:)

I'm not sure I understand. Grammar Island includes no Latin, right? It's simply a grammar curriculum?

So why would Latin be a supplement to that?

Are you asking if you should do Latin? Are you considering it *only* as an aspect of English grammar instruction?

I'm a strong proponent of Latin -- I think learning a classical language from early on helps with the understanding of how language works (in a much broader way than simply learning the grammar of one's native tongue), it can develop logical thinking and attention to detail, it can help with vocabulary that has been derived from those languages, it opens up another culture (one with a rise and fall that we can see and contemplate as outsiders), and with study it will allow the student to read classics in their original language...

I think the study is formative for young minds and the fruits of that study give maturing minds wonderful things to mull over...

But I wouldn't consider Latin a grammar supplement...

There is a Building Vocabulary Book included in the LA curricula by MCT, which explains the etiology of some words; it's just not very comprehensive.
Things ramp up quickly the next year with Caesar's English.

She currently has a 7th grade vocabulary, according to her PS teacher; I think she's more at a 5th or 6th grade level, so she certainly has the propensity to grasp and understand Latin. Hence the question, though it was probably not worded right, as I mentioned above.
If she's reading well and you have the time, there's no reason not to start Latin now.

We start school on Monday, so I'm trying to tie up some loose ends. I do believe I will just stick with the MCT curricula; I have briefly glanced at Caesar's English but not in too much detail. I might want to do that, huh?:lol:

Things ramp up quickly the next year with Caesar's English.

If she's reading well and you have the time, there's no reason not to start Latin now.