Menu

RAR Premium

AnneGG

If you are or were subscribed to RAR Premium, would you recommend it? 

I’ve thought about subscribing for years, but I can never fully wrap my mind around what it is. It seems like a unit study? It reminds me a bit of Five In A Row without the rowing. 

I tried it this summer and loved it. I think I’m going to go for it next year to use as the basis of our language arts study (and will supplement with writing/spelling/grammar as needed). 

So, it IS like a unit study, but it also has “workshops”—writing workshops, interviews with authors. Sarah Mackenzie does little videos to go with the books—like about literary devices used, the illustrations, etc. She says it’s “relaxed and bookish” and it is. The activities are pretty simple—discussion questions for the dinner table, recipes, crafts and activities (but fairly easy ones with stuff you’re likely to have around the house, or that you can easily do).

My kids enjoyed it, but even more importantly, so did I. 😉 (I think it’s very important to enjoy what we use in our homeschool!)

I’ll have to see how it goes using it yearlong, but I’m optimistic it’ll work well across the different ages in our home!

• Like 2

@Masers Thank you! It sounds sort of like a book club. I think we would like it.

Do you feel RAR is more of a supplement to a complete ELA? Or is RAR the core ELA but you might need to supplement?

edit: you’ve already answered that…. Sorry! I’m sleep deprived. 

Edited by AnneGG

19 hours ago, AnneGG said:

@Masers Thank you! It sounds sort of like a book club. I think we would like it.

Do you feel RAR is more of a supplement to a complete ELA? Or is RAR the core ELA but you might need to supplement?

edit: you’ve already answered that…. Sorry! I’m sleep deprived. 

No that’s a good question! And I’m not sure of the answer. Depending on your ages, I think you could use it as the core and supplement. For high school, I’d use RAR as the supplement. 
I have a friend using it now, and we were just talking about it. She is using it as a supplement, but feels it could be complete on its own, and then supplement with some spelling/phonics/writing as needed. 

On 9/27/2024 at 7:46 AM, AnneGG said:

@Masers thank you!  I think I’ll try it for Christmas school and see how it goes. 

I would love to know what you mean by Christmas school. This will be my first December homeschooling and I've contemplated a special curriculum for the month to really revel in the season while my kids are still small. Curious to know how others do it. 

@Queen of the Tabbies We school year round. For us, Christmas school is a break from the regular curricula. Everyone handles it differently. Some families keep up with regular math and LA while doing Christmas related things and some find it more relaxing to only have a few days of Christmas school. 

Read Aloud Revival Premium has a special “Christmas School” guide in December. Lots of companies put out units for Christmas. I’ve made my own before too. We’ve done Christmas around the world, The 12 Days of STEM-mas, Baking Spirits Bright, and book theme units like Polar Express. 

I have a thread from last year on Christmas school, I’ll see if I can link it. 

Edited by AnneGG
  • Like 1