Menu

Anyone use the BJU U.S. History text? Likes/Dislikes? Thanks! nt.

and well, I think it is tolerable. Here's what I do like:

1) Comprehensive

2) Enthusiastic Video teacher (we are doing DVDs she's a little to much enthusiasm for my girls0

3) Tons of material to consider (activity book, text, DVDs, projects)

4) Video clips and exerpts are interesting and helpful (not just teacher head shots)

5) Strong Christian emphasis - great job there!

And what I don't like:

1) Learn all the facts, regurgitate them on a test

2) A ton of information to digest and spit back out on the test (I think BJU could have focused on less, but more important, info (seems like a lot of cram the facts in)

3) Minimal emphasis on orig. documents

4) Really textbooky (!)

Two close friends had used it and raved about it. I can't figure out exactly what I don't like, but it just seems like a "regurgitate the facts for the test" course. Prob most textbook history courses are like this. My girls (9TH & 11TH GR) are doing okay - one likes it; one hates it.

Both girls were a little weak in U.S. History as the last time we did U.S. Hist was in 4th grade A Beka (which I liked). Then, we did a 4yr history cycle with SOTW (which we loved) and a one-year World History with Streams of Civilization which was so-so. Then we floundered for a year and did a Worldview course (1 sem) and a State History Semester.

I really wanted the girls to get a solid U.S. History course because I felt U.S. History was a "gap" for us. So overall, BJU does that job but I'm sure there are more exciting, more hands-on and more "writing/essay" based classes - and I would have liked those better.

But, I do recommend this course for getting the subject covered and covered well. (Kind of a grit-your-teeth and get thru it recommendation.) It is comprehensive and my girls (using hte DVDs and BJU assignments) easily have 1.5hrs a day of history work - counting the DVDs which are 30min).

HTH

lisa, mom to 5

My son used this in our co-op a couple of years ago (as a senior). I have similar "dislikes" as 74Heaven lists. Basically it got the job done. I do have to say, though, that my son would sometimes ask me if I knew ______ and then read me a funny passage - so some of it was interesting. It was very easy for him because he does great with a textbook approach. I would rather he had more critical thinking assignments in the course, a research paper, etc. I don't plan to use it next time around, but am keeping it on hand for reference.

Thanks so much for the replies!

I'm not at all sure what to do. I was leaning towards, A Patriot's History, the William Bennett Text, or BJU(possibly with the DVD's). Reading both the the pros and cons of the BJU, the pros sound great and the cons don't sound all that bad considering my dc are "just the facts" types when it comes to history and don't mind textbooks. Hmmm....more thinking to do:)