Menu

I am looking for recommendations for a good phonics program for 1st and 2nd grades. I like the Good and the Beautiful. Does it include Morman references or teaching?  Thank you!

I have a few friends who use it and they never mention any Mormon references or teachings (they aren't Mormon). So it doesn't seem very overt. You can see the whole thing for free online if you are concerned. If you really like the Good and the Beautiful you can always start using it and gloss over or have a discussion with your children if you don't agree with the content of a story or something the book says. 

Or All About Reading and Logic of English are also a very strong reading curricula. Those are secular. All About Reading does not talk about religion or morals at all.

TGTB doesn't include overt Mormon teachings. 

It is not the strongest phonics program out there and it wouldn't be at the top of any list I make.  @Clarita has given you two good ones, and they are a bit pricey.  Ordinary Parent's Guide is fine if you have the time to do a little set up for each lesson, but I would suggest supplementing with a set of readers like Simple Words, Phonics Books, or Jolly Phonics - or even the readers from All About Reading - so that your child has something that extends what they know and can read slightly independently outside of lessons.

3 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

It is not the strongest phonics program out there

FYI around 2022 a new edition came out and I believe they made a lot of progress to making it a lot better (more phonics based). Of course I already started using All About Reading before then, thus never actually used it. 

9 minutes ago, Clarita said:

FYI around 2022 a new edition came out and I believe they made a lot of progress to making it a lot better (more phonics based). Of course I already started using All About Reading before then, thus never actually used it. 

I'm glad.  Even so, I often find their products disorganized and distracting to a child, plus overwhelming in the amount of work and underwhelming in the quality of it.

• Like 1