Menu

MUS for mathy 7th grade son

I just purchased MUS Prealgebra for my 7th grade son. I looked at the sample pdf and thought it was going to be a good fit. I was looking for something that he can do on his own. 

As I received the package, I realized it is easy. He did RS up to G and Beast Academy. He didn't want to do RS G anymore. Life happened and I just couldn't teach him much. I signed him up to a tutoring centre and they taught him math up until now. He's in a competition class and made it to honor roll at local competition.

This year, his math is plummeting. (maybe not plummeting, but he definitely has gaps.) I was really surprised when he said he didn't know how to divide fractions. He's missing little bits and pieces here and there. The tutoring centre gives him 15-20 challenging questions/week and they take it up during the class. I don't think they are really teaching new concepts. 

MUS is getting done at home. I think I should have started him on algebra 1, but it's okay. He's doing it independently and without complaints. He does tell me it's too easy. 

I gave him AoPS Prealgebra. He does it without complaints too. But I don't think I can really grade his work and help him. It is very time consuming. When he gets it wrong, I don't have the mental energy to figure it out and explain it to him. 

I love the simplicity of MUS. They watch a lesson, and do worksheets. I grade them. The questions are simple enough, I can grade them in a minute. He's currently doing two-three lessons per week in MUS.

I'm wondering if I should have him advance quickly in MUS first, perhaps alg 1/gem/alg 2, and then do something more challenging to solidify them. Or should I just switch now and do maybe Saxon instead? I figure that we can do video lessons with Nicole the Math Lady and Saxon workbook together. 

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you!

Edited by Luypie

My oldest did MUS pre-A as a main, and AoPS' Alcumus on the side.  It worked out well for him - getting the easy 'meat' of a lesson, then hitting the material on speed with Alcumus.  When he got something wrong the program would work it out and then give him a similar problem.

He continued using Alcumus when he slid into AoPS Intro to Algebra.

Because you already have both MUS and AoPS Pre-A, I don't think you should switch again.  It might be more in your interest to use Alcumus as a way to feel out how he's doing with the AoPS material and give him feedback on the way he's solving the problems.

On 3/13/2024 at 4:54 PM, HomeAgain said:

My oldest did MUS pre-A as a main, and AoPS' Alcumus on the side.  It worked out well for him - getting the easy 'meat' of a lesson, then hitting the material on speed with Alcumus.  When he got something wrong the program would work it out and then give him a similar problem.

He continued using Alcumus when he slid into AoPS Intro to Algebra.

Because you already have both MUS and AoPS Pre-A, I don't think you should switch again.  It might be more in your interest to use Alcumus as a way to feel out how he's doing with the AoPS material and give him feedback on the way he's solving the problems.

Thank you so much! I didn’t realize they have these wonderful resources - free videos and practice questions. 

I am planning to do AoPS with the videos there. will also complete MUS since I already bought it. Will see how it goes.

Thank you!