Menu

Lukeion Project for Middle School

I would like someone to give feedback on the Lukeion Project for their middle school subjects, especially their Skillfull Scribbler course. I am also interested in Barbarian Diagrammarian and Witty Wordsmith. How is the workload, and did you find 1x/week to be sufficient time for instruction? Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/28/2024 at 2:59 PM, hodlB said:

I would like someone to give feedback on the Lukeion Project for their middle school subjects, especially their Skillfull Scribbler course. I am also interested in Barbarian Diagrammarian and Witty Wordsmith. How is the workload, and did you find 1x/week to be sufficient time for instruction? Thank you!

I loved all of them. I am a big fan of Lukeion, and together with AoPS and IEW, that's the only courses I use now for kids.

The workload was good, I did not find any issues, pretty rigorous, detailed. Kids loved them.

After the course, my 8th grader had the SAT without any preparation, and he said that Lukeion, a barbarian and witty wordsmith, saved him. He is the kid who could come to me 30 minutes after the class started and say, please, talk to the teacher, and let's stop the class; I do not want to waste my time.

I highly recommend them. Now, my 7th grader is doing Scribble on and Creative Scribbler. The first one is without classes, just recording (the first semester was with a class), and the second has a class. The discussions are active, and I am guilty; I like to read them, too. They are done not for grade, but because kids love to share their thoughts. And kids love to share their thoughts when they are taught well and know the material. And they are taught only well when teachers demand a lot and give away a lot.

My 4th grader loves listening to these classes and begged to have their mythologist next year.

What I personally like the most, it's how they treat students - with respect and dignity. That's the image of a teacher I would like my kids to carry through their life. Without silly screaming - "oh, it's fantastic-amazing"-"nice job - no feedback - and then, 80% - I am so proud of you". 

They are demanding (the Roman history project assignment was read to everyone in the family, concluding my husband) - the teachers have such a good humor, and they really love and care about kids.

And yeah, they are strict with the assignments like IEW - but then, who wants to come to see a doctor or a teacher, who make mistakes and then, redo it several times to get a better grade? 

10 hours ago, Likaly said:

who wants to come to see a doctor or a teacher, who make mistakes and then, redo it several times to get a better grade? 

The MCAT, USMLE and board exams can all be taken at least 3 times

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/17/2024 at 10:12 AM, Likaly said:

I loved all of them. I am a big fan of Lukeion, and together with AoPS and IEW, that's the only courses I use now for kids.

The workload was good, I did not find any issues, pretty rigorous, detailed. Kids loved them.

After the course, my 8th grader had the SAT without any preparation, and he said that Lukeion, a barbarian and witty wordsmith, saved him. He is the kid who could come to me 30 minutes after the class started and say, please, talk to the teacher, and let's stop the class; I do not want to waste my time.

I highly recommend them. Now, my 7th grader is doing Scribble on and Creative Scribbler. The first one is without classes, just recording (the first semester was with a class), and the second has a class. The discussions are active, and I am guilty; I like to read them, too. They are done not for grade, but because kids love to share their thoughts. And kids love to share their thoughts when they are taught well and know the material. And they are taught only well when teachers demand a lot and give away a lot.

My 4th grader loves listening to these classes and begged to have their mythologist next year.

What I personally like the most, it's how they treat students - with respect and dignity. That's the image of a teacher I would like my kids to carry through their life. Without silly screaming - "oh, it's fantastic-amazing"-"nice job - no feedback - and then, 80% - I am so proud of you". 

They are demanding (the Roman history project assignment was read to everyone in the family, concluding my husband) - the teachers have such a good humor, and they really love and care about kids.

And yeah, they are strict with the assignments like IEW - but then, who wants to come to see a doctor or a teacher, who make mistakes and then, redo it several times to get a better grade? 

Thank you so much for your feedback on their classes! I signed up my son for their Fall semester classes, Skillful Scribbler and Witty Wordsmith, and plan to sign him up for the Spring semester courses, too, but at a later date—I have to pace my spending. I am excited to try them out, and if all goes well, I will sign my daughter up next year, and we will add Latin for my son. Did you use IEW along with their course? How many classes did your 8th-grader take with them, and which ones, if you don't mind me asking? I may look into signing him up for more, but I don't want to overwhelm him. 

3 hours ago, hodlB said:

Thank you so much for your feedback on their classes! I signed up my son for their Fall semester classes, Skillful Scribbler and Witty Wordsmith, and plan to sign him up for the Spring semester courses, too, but at a later date—I have to pace my spending. I am excited to try them out, and if all goes well, I will sign my daughter up next year, and we will add Latin for my son. Did you use IEW along with their course? How many classes did your 8th-grader take with them, and which ones, if you don't mind me asking? I may look into signing him up for more, but I don't want to overwhelm him. 

I hope your kids will love Lukeion. Even when the subject was not a favorite one or too hard, kids still think they gave them more than any other program. Yes, they use IEW, it's not easy, but we are not so fluent at home with English, and I would like to give them as much as I can (feeling guilty that I cannot teach English as I would love to.) My 8th grader will take Latin 2, Philosophy, and Shakespeare (he took Tolkien last spring and fell in love with it more than before and more than I could think is possible, the teacher has such an amazing charisma!), and Advanced Literature. 

• Like 1