Menu

Lower-cost live online math classes

My teen has been slogging through a self-paced online Algebra I course. I wouldn't say she's struggling a lot, but it definitely looks like she does better with the accountability and motivation of live online classes, based on the subjects she's taking online this year. We're thinking of trying a live online geometry class for next year, but don't have a big budget for that. I've seen some mentions of lower-priced live math classes, but have no idea how to gauge the quality of instruction and figure out if the class would work for my student. 

My teen is a pretty conscientious student, but doesn't like math. I'd say she's pretty average at math and most likely will not be headed for a STEM degree. I'd love to find something that is pretty middle-of-the-road in terms of challenge, with a engaging and supportive teacher who can also show the student how the math is applicable to their life.  

Any ideas of what classes I should look into? The price for Classes for Teens looks great. My Homeschool Math Class is another one I've seen mentioned somewhere, but the cost is higher. 

I'd love to hear some recommendations from the Hive! Or even just the names of a few more options to look into. Thank you!

My children don't do well with self paced courses --- it looks good on paper, but they just whiff. 

We're having success with Mr D's Math. It's slightly more than MHMC. (507) One thing I like is the 'online office hours'. We haven't utilized those, but they're available 3 days a week, so a student could have more frequent access to the material. Both platforms have payment plans, if that helps. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MagistraKennedy said:

My children don't do well with self paced courses --- it looks good on paper, but they just whiff. 

We're having success with Mr D's Math. It's slightly more than MHMC. (507) One thing I like is the 'online office hours'. We haven't utilized those, but they're available 3 days a week, so a student could have more frequent access to the material. Both platforms have payment plans, if that helps. 

Thank you, I'll look into those. Is there a specific instructor that you had a good experience with?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2024 at 10:32 PM, Everything Chocolate said:

Thank you, I'll look into those. Is there a specific instructor that you had a good experience with?

Sorry I missed this! 
My boys have been with Becki Hogan, and will continue with her in the summer and on to next year as well. 

On 2/25/2024 at 7:32 PM, Everything Chocolate said:

Mathphobe dd had three great years with Mr. Henderson there. 

• 3 weeks later...