Menu

Question about Spanish...

kimmyandgracie

I have a golden opportunity right now. My BIL recently married a lady from the Phillipines who is fluent in both English and Spanish. DD5 has been visiting them a lot lately as my SIL has a 3yo DD. My SIL has been teaching DD5 some Spanish words when she goes to visit them. Since I don't plan to start latin until 2nd or 3rd grade anyway, and I know that learning a language at a young age is the best time to gain fluency, I feel like this would be a great time to teach DD5 Spanish. I also know that she is interested right now because she has also been asking me some lately how to say different words in Spanish (not that I'm much help):).

My question is, considering her age, but also that she would have the opportunity for regular conversation in Spanish, what curriculum do you suggest I use for her to help her learn Spanish and why? Thanks in advance for your help.

You know children at this age soak up a foreign language like a sponge. It's the perfect age to learn a foreign language through immersion. What a perfect opportunity for your little girl to learn a foreign language. Take advantage of it right now. It will be easier for her later to add another language such a Latin.

I would recommend La clase divertida as a Spanish program for kids your age. It has a lot of hands on material, some fun cultural and historicial information, recipes etc . You can watch the dvd's with your daughter and "learn" some Spanish together with her. How cool is that?

My son (9) grew up bilingual and is studying Latin (Song School Latin) right now. We are planning to add Spanish this summer. He admits that knowing a foreign language before studying Latin has helped him with his studies. Figures :glare:

Sonja

Homeschooling JUST ONE - ds 9

I have looked at both programs and both look really good. It's hard to decide. I really like the cultural emphasis and the crafts of La Clase Divertida, but I also like the picture approach of Rosetta Stone. DD5 played with the demo on the Rosetta Stone website. She did really well with it, and she picked up on the accent better than I did! She has also been begging me to play with it again, so that makes me feel like I should go with Rosetta Stone. I am a little concerned about some reviews that I have been reading about the Homeschool version of Rosetta Stone, though. I have read that if you want to repeat a lesson, that the student management system starts the whole thing over at the beginning. I like to repeat lessons until they are really ingrained, so this kind of bothers me. Does anyone know if this is true or not? I have considered just getting the personal version to sidestep the grading issue. I appreciate any advice you can give me related to this.