Menu

Math Manipulatives and Saxon K

momsquared

So DD definitely is ready to begin a somewhat organized instruction in math. She is probably farther along with math concepts than reading/phonics readiness. Anyway, I ordered the Saxon K math stuff and it looks perfect for what I would want to do with her at this age. Anyway, we finally got the manipulatives to day and she went crazy!!! She thought these were the coolest things ever. I let her play with the pattern blocks and the counting bears separately. I think if it were up to her she would have played with them all day.

So here is the question - I plan to start doing the lessons every day even though they say every other since her interest level is high. What if she doesn't want to stop? What if she wants to go on? I actually had to hide the manipulatives or she would have never taken a nap! I feel horrible hiding something educational, but I am somewhat trying to follow the curriculum! :tongue_smilie: Any ideas or thoughts?

I just did Saxon K over the summer with my ds- who turned 6 in July. He was way ready. I actually was doing about 2 or 3 of the lessons a day. He liked them and they were easy. Go with what your child enjoys. But, also make sure the basic concepts are being understood. He is doing great with Saxon 1.

Awesome! She seems waaaay more excited about that then I can ever get her about phonics and reading. I don't know if it is the manipulatives or the simple logic or what....but it works so I am going for it!

That is nice to hear. My son loves the Saxon pattern blocks and would ask if he could play with them when lessons were done.

I say let her play...:)

I would let her go as fast as she wishes---being aware that she, at some point, may hit a wall and NOT want to go that fast for awhile. Be open to her changing and go faster or slower depending on her interest, and allow her to do so!

With my oldest I made the mistake of thinking he should still be moving as fast as he did, and it was not a good thing! Once I backed off and allowed him some "down-time", he was soon back at it, although never as "fast" as that initial burst of thrill he had when he first started. That's a GREAT thing about homeschooling--allowing them to go faster as they get it and want more, and slower when they struggle and may need more encouragement/help!